We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best London High Tea?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Best London High Tea?

My mum and I are travelling to London in late July and would like to attend a high tea. I've had a bit of a look at Claridge's, the Goring and Corinthia. Can anyone recommend a particular high tea?

We didn't want to go somewhere too outrageously fancy where we might feel uncomfortable but if they are all like this anyway we may as well go to the best. I'm not really too sure what the dress code is (high heels, dress etc?)

Any help would be great :)

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best London High Tea?

A quick forum search for "afternoon tea" will get you tons of current recommendations (sort by date). Assuming you mean afternoon tea vs. high tea which is more of a savory meal.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,647 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best London High Tea?

IMHO, the hallmark of a truly top place is that they endeavour to make everyone there feel comfortable. On that basis, I would recommend Claridge's, which IME, is superb.

claridges.co.uk/london-mayfair-afternoon-tea/

Dress would, ideally, be "Sunday Best", although anything reasonably smart would be fine. I tend to wear a dress for tea at Claridges, although my shoes are usually ballet pumps or smart, flat, sandals (with a fresh pedicure).

For a less expensive, but still elegant afternoon tea, the Capital Hotel is just lovely.

capitalhotel.co.uk/restaurantbar_afternoonte…

If it really is High Tea you want (rather than a grand afternoon tea) Fortnum and Mason's serves High Tea.

fortnumandmason.com/images/assets/pic/Landin…

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best London High Tea?

From what I have read, there really is not one "best" when it comes to Afternoon teas.. Some are more glamorous and require more dressing up, some can be cheap and comfortable, but the tea itself, scones etc. can be good or bad regardless of the surroundings or the price. Some of the most marketed products are so timed that you have a specific time slot and they may even hurry you up. Others offer endless flow of sandwiches and cakes and you can spend there as long as you want.

So it really is about what you want. afternoontea.co.uk is a good listing site with prices and offers, when you find a place that you think would suit you, just google the reviews!

My friend praised Dorchester, it's quite famous and upper class/ posh but they were really taken care of and offered so much food they had to skip dinner altogether. She felt that they got their money's worth.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best London High Tea?

…about.com/od/faq/f/highteavafttea.htm

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
576 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best London High Tea?

Leagle - I looked at the Capital, and that looks like a nice place for Afternoon Tea. I was looking for something along those lines (nice, but not overly expensive), and I think this will fit the bill. They're even offering 20% off on week days in April, so under £24 per person. Have it booked for Monday afternoon.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,647 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best London High Tea?

The Capital is a TALF favourite as well as a favourite of mine. Many of our TALF teas end up there even when we think we would like to try some place new as it is hard to beat for atmosphere, good food, good service and good value. They have also resisted the growing trend for timed "slots".

Thank you for mentioning the April discount. I shall have to hustle to see if I can squeeze it in before the end of the month!

If you are in London the Saturday before Easter (as well as Easter Monday) please know that you would be very welcome at the TALF Pub Meet.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k734…

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
576 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best London High Tea?

We will, indeed, be in town. We'll have a teenage son in tow, though, so a pub-meet might not be on the agenda, but will consider it.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,647 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best London High Tea?

I just spoke to the Lamb which said that, while they generally don't allow "children" after 5 pm, as it is a trip advisor meet they would be happy to have you and your son attend if you wish to.

Please note that the emphasis in TALF pub meets is on the "meet" and that your son would be unlikely to be the only one not drinking something other than alcohol. They also serve food.

The Lamb is a very pleasant traditional Victorian pub and this might be a good chance for your family to have a very English experience. We start at 7 pm and are usually staring to fade away by 9-9.30 pm although some stalwarts last longer.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best London High Tea?

The Chesterfield Hotel in Mayfair has a very nice but not too formal afternoon tea.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best London High Tea?

Travelzoo are currently doing an afternoon tea offer at the Waldorf Astoria. I personally think they are all overpriced.