We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for English songs?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
223 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for English songs?

Call me thorough, but in planning our trip in 5 weeks I'm working on a mnemonic device to enhance the London/England experience...I'm downloading songs to burn to a "Travel CD"....we'll play it in the car on all our jaunts through the countryside...each kid gets to pick two of their favorite songs (at the present time...they're really fickle)...so when they hear those songs again in the future hopefully it will bring back easy recall of our ventures over there....

Son's songs "Dueling Banjos" and "Dixie"

Daughter's songs Clay Walker "Jesus was a Country Boy" and "Old Man River"

Daughter's songs Louis Armstrongs "What a Wonderful World" and Carrie Underwood "Jesus take the Wheel"

Now 3 months ago their songs would have been "Louie Louie", "Another One Bites the Dust" and Josh Groban's greatest hits...don't know how they morphed into this month's selections...my husband and I both get choices...he's still working on his and mine are a fave of Andrea Bocelli and Danny Boy..

so now we need some input of about 4-5 songs that are unmistakably British! It can be the national anthem (don't know the name of it), a Beatles song, an old Irish folk song, something they might have the chance of hearing again in the future and would be a fun song to play on road trips, meaning easy to sing to or good melody.....

Everytime I travel I plan a CD or tape and it's amazing how when the song comes on you can have instant visual memories of where you were when it played...hoping to make this trip as memorable as possible. Thanks for any help with our CD!!!!

Tara

England
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for English songs?

As a kid, one of my favourites was a Cliff Richard song called 'We're all going on a Summer Holiday'. It was one of the songs featured in a film about a group of teenagers who toured Europe in a red London Bus and featured loads of dancing and singing. I was only VERY young at the time, but we sing it to our kids on holiday, and even the eldest, who is 12, seems to enjoy it.

'Penny Lane' by the Beatles or 'Yellow Submarine' were always favourites too.

A huge hit recently - which can be intermittently annoying and funny is 'Is this the way to Amarillo?' by Tony Christie, which was a hit years ago but recently resurrected as a football anthem to support the England team in the World Cup. It's so naff it couldn't be anything but English but is great to sing along to in the car, and EVERYONE knows it, whether they love it or loathe it.......

England
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for English songs?

PS,

For years I had a penfriend called 'Bess' who came from Huntsville, Alabama. Her Dad worked for NASA, and I remember the photos she sent me of her seemingly massive house, her first car acquired at the age of 17 (I didn't get my first until I was 29!), her school prom and her first trip to a theme park called 'Six Flags Over Georgia'. She was into Kiss and Billy Preston (not well known in the uK at all) and eventually she went to live in NYC.....

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for English songs?

One of my favourite songs about London is Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks. 'Billy meets Julie down by the station, Waterloo Undergound", etc, a truly classic song by Ray Davies, and one of the finest songs about London ever written. Marc Bolan, of T Rex, wrote some good songs too, try We Love To Boogie, recently revived in the film Billy Elliott. Perhaps they might be a bit old, on second thoughts! How about Queen, Freddie Mercury lived in London. Another one bites the dust, Killer Queen?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for English songs?

Can't think of the name, but the opening song in 'Love Actually' - if ever there were a film that depicted London, that's it!

"I feel it in my fingers. I feel it in my toes." etc

Also, Live Aid's "Do they know it's Christmas?" Such a major British event all those years ago.

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for English songs?

Or any of the songs from the soundtrack to My Fair Lady ... perhaps renting it and watching it before you leave ...

manchester uk
Level Contributor
300 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for English songs?

"maybe its because i'm a londoner" is a good tune with catchy lyrics - you can put on your best cockney accent and sing along!!

manchester uk
Level Contributor
300 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for English songs?

a more modern tune is blur - parklife.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
223 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for English songs?

girlmanc....how funny! You could be describing a good deal of teens in Alabama for the last 30 years! :) Except the moving to NYC part, not many take that leap! :) Alas, I didn't get my first car until my last year of college and it was a steal for $500...it lasted 7 years with only replacing oil and a new set of tires! :) Six Flags is still there...haven't taken my children there yet...will on return...have a 2 for one coupon sitting in my desk drawer! :)

Many of these songs are coming back to me!! We loved My Fair Lady and of course, Mary Poppins (we're seeing it our first night there)...the Amarillo song sounds right up my kids alley. They love to memorize songs and sing at whim...."Hey, Daddy, there's a hippo in the bathtub...mamma there's a grizzly on the lawn.." That's a FUN one! We have a lot of armadillos around here...so the amarillo song may take different meaning:) I'm heading over to my music site and trying to find these titles to let the kids listen in...thanks so much!

Tara

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for English songs?

The national anthem is God Save The Queen, will be The King next time around. Sung to a tune which you use in the U.S. with different words. Don't remember what they are.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for English songs?

What about some really traditional music? Last night of theProms style. Rule Brittania, Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem. Or songs associated with cities. "In Dublin's fair city, where the girls are so pretty", Lambeth Walk, as in "doing the Lambeth Walk, Oy!" In an English Country Garden, by Percy Grainger. The Welsh National anthem sung by a Rugby match crowd of 60,000. The list is endless.