We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I buy euros in London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I buy euros in London?

We need to pay for a cruise tour in euros the first day we reach LeHavre, so need to purchase the euros in London before we leave. Where is the best/easiest/cheapest place to exchange either USD or pounds?

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I buy euros in London?

The website www.travelmoneymax.com - part of the respected Money Saving Expert group - gives you the best rate factoring in the amount you wish to change and how soon you want it. You can then judge if getting 20 euros more, or whatever, is worth trekking across London to get to that bureau.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
577 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I buy euros in London?

Easiest would probably be in St Pancras Station (assuming that's your departure point from London).

Cheapest would probably be to use your ATM/Debit card at a bank ATM in the Le Havre station, when you arrive. (Never been there, but I'd be willing to bet it's not hard to find an ATM.)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,036 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I buy euros in London?

Use your debit card at an ATM at St Pancras or Le Havre. That way you'll avoid double exchange rates from USD to GBP to EUR which will happen if you go to an exchange in London

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I buy euros in London?

How much is the cruise tour? I was assuming it was above the daily withdrawal limit, typically £200, of an ATM.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,036 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I buy euros in London?

Actually, the OP doesn't even mention St Pancras as a destination point. Particularly true if they are taking a cruise which I am guessing leaves from Southampton.

In which case, use your debit card at Southampton providing it will give you Euros (not all ATMs inthe UK will). Otherwise, buy enough Euros before you leave the US

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I buy euros in London?

You are having to pay for a cruise in cash?

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
577 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I buy euros in London?

>>Actually, the OP doesn't even mention St Pancras as a destination point. <<

No, I assumed that might have been the departure point, because the OP mentioned paying for a cruise tour upon arrival at Le Havre.

But you may be right, as well. It could be a cruise from Southampton that stops in Le Havre, and their paying for a port excursion there.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I buy euros in London?

I'd be highly suspicious of the exchange rate of any ATM in the UK dispensing euros (there are very very few of them) particularly if paying with a US card.

Either on arrival in Le Havre or if that's dodgy bring them with you from the US

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I buy euros in London?

If you need more euros than you can sensibly withdraw from an ATM in France, go with Beauchamp's suggestion in post #1. The exchange bureau will likely charge less than 2% to convert $US to GBP and then about the same to convert GBP to euros. An exchange bureau with good rates should not be far out of your way. Depending on the rates your bank charges, this option may be cheaper than using an ATM in France.

Buying euros will cost you about 5.5% at a Wells Fargo bank that handles foreign currency, a good backup plan if there is one nearby: https:/…

London, England
Level Contributor
7,863 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I buy euros in London?

Change GBP to Euros at Thomas Global Exchange. They have a few offices over London. It is the best rate I have found in London. Don't change USD to GBP then Euros as you will be paying the cost of exchange twice.

Otherwise, change USD to Euros in France.