We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

We (my husband, adult daughter and I) will be staying one week in London at the end of July. When we arrive at Heathrow, each of us should purchase a 7 day Oyster card (pay as you go) and put money on it.

Later that day, my husband and I plan to purchase for each of us a 7 day travel card at a train station (not a tube station) for zones 1 and 2. We should each bring a passport sized photo with us. We attach it to the travel card and then he and I can use 2 for 1 passes at various sights which allow 2for1 (some of which, like the Tower of London do not allow 2for1 in the summer). We attach? these travel passes to the Oyster card and can use them for train/tube/buses in zones 1 and 2, and also for buses outside zones 1 and 2? (Wasn't sure about that one.)

If we travel outside zones 1 and 2, (i.e. Hampton Court Palace) we can use the Oyster card as long as we put enough money on it, and it will deduct the cost of the train or ferry. This works for any travel outside of zones 1 and 2 in London.

Is my understanding of this correct? Also, do we scan the Oyster card or the travel card--I am not clear about this.

Thank you so much.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
458 reviews
from US$105.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.00*
US$334.40
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

Using Oyster card

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aNJcaJlRoc

Using travel card

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G05veidv96k

Fulham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

If you travel daily after 9.30 then use pay as you go and just top up when needed. When it gets to off peak daily travel card rate. It's capped. If you travel before 9.30. Then you be charged the peak rate.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

" We attach? these travel passes to the Oyster card and can use them for train/tube/buses in zones 1 and 2, and also for buses outside zones 1 and 2? "

Oyster cards are smart cards, travel cards can be loaded on them electronically but you will have paper travel cards which are valid for the 2 for 1's, travel cards loaded on oyster are not.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,881 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

'When we arrive at Heathrow, each of us should purchase a 7 day Oyster card (pay as you go) and put money on it.' Following on from Hooameye, there is no such thing as a '7 day Oyster card'. If you want to use PAYG for the trip from Heathrow to central London load £10 on each Oyster card and call it good. The unused PAYG pre-pay balance and the £5 deposit for each Oyster will be returned to you when you hand in the card at a Tube ticket office at the end of your stay.

'Later that day, my husband and I plan to purchase for each of us a 7 day travel card at a train station (not a tube station) for zones 1 and 2. We should each bring a passport sized photo with us. We attach it to the travel card' No. At the rail station the agent will create NR Photocards - laminated and permanent - with the passport size photos you will supply. They will be an adjunct to the paper Travelcards you will buy to use with the two for one offers. Nothing need be attached to anything else. You should be given a small plastic wallet (with the Oyster cards) into which you may place the Photocard and the NR paper Travelcard.

*All* Travelcards allow bus use in zones 1 - 6 regardless of the zones for the Underground, DLR etc use.

If you would like to travel to Hampton Court you may use PAYG on Oyster, ensuring you have enough pre-pay on the cards. If you need to add a few pounds, touch in at a Tube ticket machine and follow the onscreen instrutions. Topping up at a ticket window has a £5 minimum, but you may prefer to keep the balance low on the Oyster cards for PAYG use.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

Ok, so we buy off peak pay as you go Oyster cards--each of the three of us. Then just my husband and I buy 7 day travel cards (paper tickets) for the 2 for 1 offers. But, it still makes sense for our daughter to have the payg oyster card only, correct? And make sure we travel after 9:30 am?

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

Sorry--don't mean to be an idiot. I think my understanding is wrong. We plan to take private transport to our apartment in London. So, it seems as if we should try to make our way to the closest train station to our apartment on Sunday when we arrive, and each of us should buy a 7 day travel card. My husband and I can get the paper ticket to use for the 2-4-1 and our daughter will not need the paper ticket but can use the 7 day travel card. I may have to wait until tomorrow morning and have plenty of coffee and try to understand this then. So, we would only need to get the Oyster card if we travel from Heathrow to our apartment?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,317 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

Roberta, have you had a look at the articles on the Travelcards under top questions?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

If you are taking private transportation (like a taxi) from Heathrow to your hotel, then I am unclear as to why you would need an Oyster. There is no Oyster card--Oyster is a virtual wallet, which can be loaded with Travelcards (not eligible for 2-4-1s) or PayG money.

If you are only buying this for travel back to Heathrow, you might be better off with single fares, for all the trouble.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

Yes, thank you. I think the problem was I was reading too many posts, and it was confusing me. I think we only need to get the 7 day travel cards at the rail station and can use those to get around London. I can print out the 2-4-1 vouchers here at home and bring them with us to use.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,317 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

Sounds like a plan.

Enjoy London.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel/oyster cards-(sorry) do I understand what is best?

Thank you. It is my first trip, and I am looking forward to it. Now, I need to plan the second week outside of London.