We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport for flight to Rome?

Delawhere?
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which airport for flight to Rome?

105 days to go. Yeahhhhh I am thinking about making a change to our schedule and would really like some advice about the best route to go. Original plan called for us to leave London on November 27. Have checked with BA and can change return date for a modest(?) fee. Would like to change the return date to November 29 or 30. Fly to Rome on the 27th and return to London Heathrow for return flight home on the 29th or 30th. Ryanair and Easyjet have similar prices for the flight. So, if we are staying at the Luna & Simone, would it be easier (quicker) to catch an early flight to Rome from Luton or Stansted? And which would have the quickest transfer to Heathrow for our return? I have read so much about the baggage limits on the budget airlines, so where would be a good place to leave the bulk of our luggage when we go to Rome, and then grab it quickly when we return to London. Or can we leave it somewhere at Stanisted or Luton and grab it before heading to Heathrow? I would rather spend extra time in London, but daughter really wants to see stuff in Rome. Thanks for any tips to point me in the right direction on how to do this for her!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airport for flight to Rome?

It's a toss up as to which is 'better' for travel from the Luna & Simone - I think the coach to Luton leaves from either Victoria Coach Station (close to the L&S) or Baker Street (not that close), whereas the StanEx leaves from Liverpool Street - or Tottenham Hale, which is on the Victoria line, taking about half an hour from Victoria.

I think I'd go for STN, by a thread, and I would take the tube to Tottenham Hale rather than deal with the masses of people at Liverpool Street.

Are you flying back to LTN or STN and going straight from there to LHR? Both airports have left luggage facilities: STN has a storage area in the arrivals hall, with a fee of £3 per piece for 12-24 hours and £2 for 1-12 hours. LTN has left luggage facilities in the departures area - couldn't find the fees, though.

The budget airlines usually fly into Ciampino airport, rather than Fiumicino (aka Leonardo da Vinci). Buses are usually depart for the city at times to coordinate with flights - costs about €8 single.

It takes about an hour and a half or two hours by coach to get from LTN or STN to LHR, but the travel time can really depend on the M25 and other motorways. If traffic is heavy, then the trip may take longer - I'd budget an extra hour at least for such a contingency.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airport for flight to Rome?

Coaches also run to Stansted from Victoria - either Terravision or National Express.

The quickest way, as already said, would be Underground to Tottenham Hale and then Stansted Express train.

Apart from the hassle of dragging your bagsall the way out of London, leaving them at the airport would be the best option. then you have more choice for your return to Heathrow - coach all the way, Stansted Ex to Tottenham Hale, cross platforms at Finsbury Park to Piccadilly Line direct to Heathrow.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airport for flight to Rome?

Interesting!

I had a look on ebookers.com and there are currently flights form LHR to FCO for £93pp inclusive of taxes. Out on the 27th back on the 29th with Alitalia.

And with reasonable departure times aswell (9am not 6am)

Ryanair once the taxes are factored in came at £65pp when you add in the £25 or so for the StanExpress seems very little in it?

Anyone else want to check this? Saves the jaunt out to Stansted and you could surely leave your luggage in LHR?

Good Luck!

Delawhere?
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airport for flight to Rome?

Thanks to everyone for the tips. It looks as though either airport would do. I would love to fly Alitalia from Heathrow, but if I can find a way to go for less with the budgets, because this is a last minute change that is what I will probably have to do. Whichever has the best times and best prices (cheapest) is the one I will go with. Before I go over to the Rome Forum, anyone have any thoughts on inexpensive places to stay for one or two nights?

Thanks again!

London
Level Contributor
401 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airport for flight to Rome?

Easyjet also fly from Gatwick to Rome.

If it was me, I'd be tempted to go from Gatwick - LGW.

Take my bags down to LGW on the Gatwick Express, leave them in left luggage at LGW, fly to Rome, then on the return pick up the bags at LGW and jump on the coach that runs from LGW to LHR - Heathrow (which runs more regualrly than the links from Stansted or Luton to LHR, and is certainly shorter than the Stansted transfer)

Just another option.

Delawhere?
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airport for flight to Rome?

For some reason, I am still not sure about some things, maybe I should leave well enough alone, but...

Ok, so the least expensive way to do this is to fly from Stansted to Rome. I understand about the tube to Totenham (30 minute ride) on the Victoria Line (right?) and then catch the Express to Stansted. How long is the ride on the Express to the Airport? And if we were going to catch a 6:10 am flight, is that even possible, and how? Do we need to camp out in the airport the night before?

I am getting such a headache...

Thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airport for flight to Rome?

km: Have you looked http://www.stanstedexpress.com/ and http://www.stanstedairport.com/ for info?

Why not stay at the Radisson SAS Hotel London Stansted Airport the night before?

Delawhere?
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which airport for flight to Rome?

Thanks Lee. Staying at the Radisson sounds like a great idea. The cost doesn't seem to bad either. And since we are only going to be in Rome a short time it would be a waste to be totally exhausted on the first day. I really like that idea.

Delawhere?
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which airport for flight to Rome?

Also forgot to ask, do you think the Luna staff will be really miffed that we check out one day early?

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which airport for flight to Rome?

km: Have you contacted them to let them know? Usually a day (or week's) notice is standard for cancelling without being charged.