We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

We are coming to London for 4 nights in August and are having difficulty picking a hotel, since all areas have good points. The possible hotels are: Ambersand or Kensington House (Kensington), Le Meridien (Piccadilly), Grosvenor (Victoria Station). Some things about us:

1. Flying in to Heathrow (Air Canada) and then taking the train to Colchester and Harwich.

2. We hope to see at least one play.

3. We enjoy walking.

4. We would like to be in an area where there's interesting things to see close to the hotel and food to eat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,495 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

Victoria you are in walking distance to Buckingham palace, Westminster Abbey and Houses of Parliament.

Tube lines and buses from Victoria www.tfl.gov.uk

www.visitlondon.com www.timeout.com/london www.theatremonkey.com

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

Please post your nightly budget.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

If you plan to take the train to Colchester and Harwich then you may wish a stay nearer Liverpool Street station for the trains. There is no one area in London that is central to sights and attractions so you will need to use the city's superb transport systems (considerably better than Translink) to get around.

Please let us know when in August you will travel and, as lordk said, your budget in pounds - use www.oanda.com for the exchange rate calculation.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

Thank you for the quick responses.

Since I'm looking for a reason to choose one of the 3 areas, I don't feel a need to post a budget. We will be staying in one of the 4 hotels listed.

Which area do you think best meets our needs? (Thanks Nurioopta for your input on Victoria)

We will be there Aug. 9-13.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

Hi again,

The kind of info that I'm looking for is:

- Are there enough places to eat within walking distance of each hotel? We recently stayed in a very nice hotel in Bangkok that was in a commercial area with nothing of interest to see or eat in its vicinity. We needed to take their skytrain.

- Is it noisy being near Victoria Station?

- Is there construction or some other event happening in the vicinity of any hotel that would make it less desirable?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

California
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

I would pick Kensington or Piccadilly areas over Victoria Station. I think (generally speaking) areas around train stations tend to be less interesting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

If you choose the hotel in Piccadilly it's hard to better it for location in terms of being easy walking distance of restaurants, theatre land, shops and many of the famous London sights.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

I stayed in Victoria last month I went to London and liking my decision. i walked to buckingham palace, continue to westminster abbey and trafalgar. And it was close to Victoria train station and coach station. I took Harry Potter tour with the bus package leaving from the coach station.

I was staying in Hugh street and didnt find it noisy at night.

Picadilly area is also nice though, plenty of restaurant option.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

Of those you list, Le Méridien is party central.

Come and enjoy.

UK
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area for a hotel? Kensington-Picadilly-Victoria

Le M excellent for a hotel bespoke to your requirements.Have some victuals at Brasserie Zedel too just round the corner regmaiche