We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick airport to Warren Street

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick airport to Warren Street

Hi there, we are a couple in our 50s, arriving at Gatwick from Italy at 6:30pm on a Monday in June. The Gatwick Express train seems an expensive way to get to London. We are staying in Warren Street. I don't want to spend all night getting there, can anyone advise the best transport? I thought the Southern Trains service to Victoria, change to tube to Warren Street on Victoria line may be the best option - do you agree?? If I get a Pay as you Go amount on an Oyster Card, could I use that for the journey or do I have to buy a ticket for the train at Gatwick?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick airport to Warren Street

The best option is to get an FCC train to Farringdon (about £10) and then get a Circle, H&C or Met line tube to Euston Square (or possibly Great Portland Street depending on exactly where you want to be). Walk the last few hundred yards

An Oyster card would cover you for the tube bit but not the train from Gatwick

Or an FCC off peak travelcard (£13.50) would cover the whole journey and save fiddling about with buying an Oyster until next day

Edited: 21 April 2014, 08:17
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick airport to Warren Street

The GEX *is* an expensive way to get to London and isn't a good option with a destination near Warren Street.

If you would like to avoid stairs at Euston Square station, take the FCC train to St Pancras, which has step free access from the platforms to the concourse. Walk through the station to Euston Road and from bus stop A, in front of Camden Town Hall, take either the 30 or 205 to Warren Street.

At Gatwick ask for a rail ticket *plus* Travelcard. You will pay £13.50 - less than the cost of the GEX or Southern service to Victoria - and can use the Travelcard on the bus from St Pancras and on the Underground if you wish for the remainder of arrival day.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick airport to Warren Street

Are you leaving from Gatwick at the end of your stay? If so and you buy return tickets then they would be valid for 241 offers while you are here.

If I were making this journey i'd have used your original suggestion of travelling via Victoria, although you should check which tube station is nearer for your hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick airport to Warren Street

Thank you very much, I'll go for the ticket plus travelcard and maybe get off at Great Portland Street, it's only a short walk from our flat, I'm told. Although I see it has no step free access - does anyone know how many steps (roughly) ie lots of flights or just a few??? We are fine with steps although will have a suitcase each.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick airport to Warren Street

Great Portland Street station is just below street level so you just have to climb up to the street. Divided into short flights - can't recall how many but you shouldn't have a problem

This line was built by the dig a hole and cover it over method.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 08:44
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick airport to Warren Street

There are 43 steps in total from the platforms to the ticket hall (and street level) at Great Portland Street station. The 30 and the 205 call at a stop immediately adjacent to the station: …tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/kin… and …tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/gps…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,004 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick airport to Warren Street

Actually, the exit from the westbound platform at Euston Square (where MaryM53 would arrive) to the southern exit of the station (which is the one she'll need) is step free, with lifts up from platform to ticket hall and again to street level**.

If you took that route from Gatwick, make sure you get a one day travelcard for First Capital Connect (£13.50 as mentioned in #2). That will cover your train journey to Farringdon, and the tube journey to Euston Square and all remaining public transport that day. More importantly, it will allow you to chenge at Farringdon from the train to the tube without having to exit the station and buy a new ticket/travelcard/Oyster just for the two stop ride to Euston Sq.

(** westbound platform access from Euston Road/Gower Street only)

8. Re: Gatwick airport to Warren Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16