We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harry Potter studio tour -- specific questions

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Harry Potter studio tour -- specific questions

Hi all. We have tickets booked for the Harry Potter studio tour at 11:30 AM on Monday, May 12. We need to collect the tickets at the studio, and are advised to arrive 20 minutes prior to ticket time. We're staying at the Hotel Indigo London Kensington, by the Earl's Court Tube station.

So here's my plan:

-Walk from hotel to West Brompton station (Google Maps estimates this at 11 minutes).

-Take the 9:47 train from West Brompton to Watford Junction, arriving 10:21 AM.

-Take taxi from Watford Junction to studios.

-Have something to eat and possibly start looking in gift shop before tour starts.

-Take tour, have amazing time, spend too much money.

-Take taxi back to Watford Junction and catch next train back to London.

And here are my questions:

1. Google Maps estimates the walk from the hotel to West Brompton station at 11 minutes. When should we leave the hotel to allow adequate time to reach the station, pick up our tickets, and catch the 9:47 train? There seems to be no self-service ticket pickup machine at that station, so I'm assuming we'll need to go to a window. (Or am I wrong and we'd need to pick up our tickets at a different station before the journey?)

2. It appears to me that the train ticket I should buy from the Southern Railway website is an off-peak day return ticket, for 7.30 pounds, and that even if I enter specific train times when I buy the ticket, I can use it for any train to Watford Junction and back during off-peak hours, and I don't have to worry about any kind of reservation for a specific train. Is that correct?

3. I know that we don't need to take taxis between the train station and studios, and that there's a shuttle bus that would be much cheaper. My concern is that our vacation time is limited and valuable, and I'd rather just splurge and be able to take a cab right away, rather than risk sitting on a bus for up to 20 minutes before it departs (when I could be spending that 20 minutes having a snack or looking in the gift shop). Am I being ridiculous? Also, is there any kind of posting of when the bus will be making its next departure?

4. Are taxis readily available at Watford Junction station and at the studios?

5. Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of food is offered at the concession area inside the tour? Pretty much all I've been able to find is that it's less substantial than is offered outside the tour, and includes butterbeer and ice cream. Do they have snack stuff, like a bag of crisps for example?

6. A friend of mine will be meeting me and my boyfriend for the tour; I've booked three tickets. We're not sure yet when we'll be meeting up with her; we might be traveling separately from Watford Junction to the studios. I understand that to take the shuttle bus, you have to show your booking confirmation. Would it be a problem if I just send her a copy of the confirmation, and we each show the three-ticket confirmation on separate buses? Would they know on the bus that it's been used before, and have a problem with that?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Harry Potter studio tour -- specific questions

My family and I did the tour 2 years ago when it first opened so maybe I can answer some of your questions. I don't remember much about the train ride up so I'm not much help there. Just allow yourself plenty of time to get to the station and pick up your tickets. Once we were at Watford we only waited a few minutes for the shuttle - we sat on the bus for only about 5 -10 minutes before it took us to the studio. I don't remember seeing any taxis but we weren't looking for them. Once you get to the studio there is a Starbucks before you queue for the tour (about halfway through the tour you can buy butterbeer and ice cream). If you get there early you can grab a quick bite before your tour time. I shouldn't think it would be a problem for your friend to show a copy of the reservation on the shuttle - they just look at them briefly if I remember correctly. It's a great tour - have fun and you will spend too much money in the gift shop! :)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harry Potter studio tour -- specific questions

I was just there a few weeks ago.

1 - I can't help

2 - we just used our Oyster cards, I don't know what the cost was.

3 - yes, just take the bus, the time difference is only a matter in minutes. I don't remember seeing a posting about departure times. The bus was there, we got on it.

4 - Didn't pay attention to that.

5 - Inside the tour they had some pre-made sandwiches, Tuna was the only option for us, might have been a veg sandwich as well. And they had mac & cheese. The options were very limited. Bags of chips (crisps), yes. that's all I remember.

6 - I don't recall having to show a booking confirmation, just paid the driver and got on.

Some might say you are over-thinking it a bit.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harry Potter studio tour -- specific questions

There are always plenty of taxis outside the station (turn immediately right as you exit) and the cost is about £10-£12 but taking the shuttle is part of the fun for a lot of people. Useful to know that taxis are there if time is tight but otherwise I would catch the bus.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harry Potter studio tour -- specific questions

The cafe outside the tour has quite a comprehensive menu. Sandwiches, hot food, etc. The small cafe halfway through has a few sandwiches, hot dogs, crisps, ice cream, cookies and brownies I think, booze, and butter beer.

If you are keen to spend a lot of money the gift shop offers more opportunity to splurge than any other gift shop on the planet. ;)

5. Re: Harry Potter studio tour -- specific questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 06:15