We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar Question

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DC
Level Contributor
107 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Eurostar Question

My wife and I will be traveling from Paris to London and were debating flying vs. the Eurostar. I think I've settled on Eurostar due to its added convenience. I went to www.eurostar.com and saw that we can "non-flexible" fares for US$89. "Semi-flexible" fares jump up to $168. I read the descriptions of each, but can't really tell any difference. Can someone guide me here? It's a huge price difference, but I'm concerned that there is some catch with the non-flex fares that I will find out about at the train station and wish I had paid more for the semi-flex fare. Anyone know what these are and have a recommendation?

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
401 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar Question

A non flexible fare means you are totally locked into taking the train service you select - the date and time. You can't change your train dates/times, or get any kind of refund on your ticket.

A semi flexible fare allows you to change your train service, providing there's availability, AND you pay the fare difference plus a service fee. You are still unable to get a refund on your ticket should you not travel at all.

If you have definite plans, and don't require any flexibility then choose the former.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar Question

Exactly what Monty just wrote, check the fee for change as I book the Eurostar frequently for business travel and the change fee varies from £30-£50. The only difference is that you can't change your ticket at all, I'm assuming that you will have plans and accomodation booked in London so probably won't want to change the time of your train anyway.

Maryland
Level Contributor
353 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar Question

DCMOVE -- the "non-flexible" is exactly the same as our airline "non-refundable" tickets -- if you change ANYTHING after purchase, you can use the tickets, but you will have a penalty fee -- and at US$94 per person, it will probably eat up most of your ticekt value, as others have noted. So if you think you have a hard-and-fast itinerary, get the non-flexible. If you need more wiggle room, go for the higher but more flexible tickets.

As far as plane vs. train --- in Europe the train almost always wins because of city center to city center travel, no major hassles, etc.

Rick in Maryland

London
Level Contributor
401 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurostar Question

Rick EMT

Non flexible on Eurostar is NOT the same as most US airlines non-refundable. You cannot change ANYTHING. If your plans change you have to book an entirely new ticket, and you cannot use any credit from your old ticket towards it.

A semi flexible ticket would be the closest comparison to the standard non-refundable tickets that most airlines offer.

Maryland
Level Contributor
353 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurostar Question

MONTYBOY --

Thanks for the clarification -- and it is a good one to know!!

Rick