We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

me and my gf will be flying into LHR in the AM, spending the day and night in London and flying out of STN the very next morning. Can anyone help with a location that would make it easy to get to/from airports but also central enough where we can get a lot of sightseeing in?

thank you in advance!

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
341 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

Are you serious? Would you fly to New York and out in a day? Assuming there are reasons for your plans I think there is a Stansted Express fro London Liverpool Street station to Stansted - you would need yo check timings depending on flight times. You would therefore need to find accommodation near Liverpool Street station which wouldn't be cheap, or at Stansted and nowhere comes to mind. If this is a serious question I would revisit your travel plans

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

There are a few inexpensive hotels near Liverpool Street station for the StanEX or Terravision coach, but you could also stay near King's Cross and from there take the Victoria line to Tottenham Hale and connect there to the StanEX.

Please let us know the date you will visit London and your budget in pounds for a hotel. Let us know as well the time of day your flight departs from STN and whether you've booked with Ryanair or another airline.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

i'm flying into LHR May 8 at 8am and flying out of STN May 9 at 630am. The reason why we're doing this is we'll be spending a few days to go around London at the end of our trip.

thanks! so anything around liverpool street station would be ideal?

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

Given the timings, I think you have to stay at Stansted

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

with a 6.30 flight you're advised to be at the airport at 4.30, have you really thought through how you will get to Stansted at that time?

You need to stay at Stansted not around Liverpool St.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

when landing at LHR, should i just take the bus over to a hotel near Stansted to drop off luggage and freshen up and venture into the city from there?

how early does the stansted express run?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,911 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

You might be best to take the Underground from Heathrow to Kings Cross which also has an overground station linked to it. Store your luggage in their Left Luggage facility, tour London , take the tube later in the day to Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale station for the Stansted Express to your airport hotel for the night, ready for your early departure next morning.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 21:52
London
Level Contributor
9,552 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

Have a glance at a map. Heathrow is about 10 miles to the west of central London. Stansted is almost 40 miles north east from central London. If you go to STN first, you'll use much of your day getting there then back into London. Surely if time is so short you'd be better coming into central London, putting your bags into left luggage and heading off for some sightseeing, then heading to your hotel at STN in the evening.

If you need to check in at 0430, it is essential that you stay at STN. If you're flying Ryanair, you need to ensure you understand their check in processes - which will be different from what you are used to.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
341 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

Follow Hardygeraniums advice. The distances are far too large for you to do anything else. Also if flying Ryanair take the advice to check out their check in procedures which you might find different. Also need to consider how you plan the day as you're not going to get that much sleep and the time difference is significant. Hope the trip works out well for you

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What area to stay? 1 day, flying into LHR and out of STN

A 3.40 coach from Stratford tube would get to Stansted at 4.30. There are hotels in Stratford such as the Express by Holiday Inn and Ibis. This is the best option for staying near Central London.