We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

We plan on traveling from the States to the UK/London area around November 21, 2014. We are staying for 10 days. My husband is a huge football fan and we would love to see a Premier League game. While he is an Arsenal fan, we are happy to see ANY team play as we know tickets can be hard to come by. We are willing to travel out of London as well to see a game. The Premier League website says to buy tickets directly from them. Does anyone know of another reliable place to find tickets? Or any suggestions on how to find/purchase the tickets? Or is the best place the Premier website? Thanks!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

Tickets are only available from the clubs themselves, or their licensed agents. The licensed agents are (not for all clubs) Thomas Cook Sports (who sell match ticket and hotel packages) and Viagogo.

The selling of football tickets through other sources, aka touting or scalping, is illegal in the UK. And the black market is awash with scams and forgeries. Don't touch them.

The best way to secure Premier League tickets is to join a club's membership scheme. That way you get priority access to tickets, although even in those cases tickets can be hard to come by.

The fixtures for next season won't be announced until mid June. I've been updating a Google spreadsheet with all London matches. You can see it here (looks rather thin as we're in the last month of this season) and I'll do my best to keep it going.

http://bit.ly/pP87rE

And, don't forget that there is more than just the Premier League. There are some great matches to be seen in the Championsip, League 1 and League 2 and even the Conference. My team (Crystal Palace) may be in the Premier League this season - and next (hooray) but most of my life has been spent supporting them in the second tier (Championship) and even a few exciting years in the third tier (L1).

Edited: 22 April 2014, 06:13
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

Your husband can join Arsenal as a Red member for next season and try to buy tickets one month before the match (higher tiers of membership are able to get them earlier but there are some tickets for Red members). Or try http://www.arsenalamerica.com

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

There is an arsenal overseas supporters club who from posts here have a reasonable record in getting tickets for supporters. Google it and join.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

I saw Southampton vs Cardiff the other week. Bought tickets the day before from the club shop. No membership necessary. Away from the glamour clubs it's easy to get tickets.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

What 4 said - it's not that hard if you are happy to watch a mid/lower-table club. Aston Villa (assuming they don't get relegated this season) are based in Birmingham, which is an easy train ride from London, and they rarely sell out these days. Have a look at the fixture list when it comes out in June then check your travel dates and pop back here then for advice as to which games might be easy to get to.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

For a real Arsenal fan, I can recommend one of the hospitality packages.....excellent service, great tickets, good food and drinks and a chat with one of the legends (Charlie George, John Radford) - pricey but an experience of a lifetime.....I went at Christmas (a Xmas prezzie) and hope to go again!

But as USB says, need to wait for the fixtures.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

<< if you are happy to watch a mid/lower-table club >

He is - Arsenal

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

If I did not know anything about football, I'd keep quiet

London, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

Just a note to the OP - in relation to UK sports fixtures, the home team is listed first, unlike the States.

10. Re: Possible to even purchase British football tickets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 06:16