We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watford

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Watford

I'll be headed to work from Watford for about 3 weeks. I'm a 30s single male and would be looking for fun things to do after work. Is Watford a complete sleepy town? Is it walkable and easy to get around in? Or should I perhaps consider staying somewhere in London? I'm gathering that it's a 20 minute train ride from Euston to Watford. I just don't want to be stuck in my hotel room for 3 weeks after work with almost nothing to do. Any advice is appreciated!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,922 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watford

Have you booked a hotel yet (if so which one) and where exactly in Watford are you working? This might affect my advice. Knowing when you will be here is also important. Fast trains from Euston do indeed take 20 minutes but fares are expensive and you could then have a long journey from Watford Junction to your place of work

Watford certainly isn't sleepy as a walk up the Upper High Street on a Friday or Saturday will show but it lacks much soul. and the pubs are geared either to locals or those going out on the town. The Palace Theatre puts on some interesting plays but the nearest multiplex cinema is out of town. Shopping is good but I suspect that will hold little interest. Cassiobury Park on the other hand is a delightful green space and a train or bus will get you to the more interesting city of St Albans in about 30 minutes.

Do ask if you need more specific information - I have lived here all my life.

Mentioned in this post
St Albans
St Albans
Hertfordshire, UK
Jacksonville
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watford

Thank you very much! Very helpful. I actually plan to visit St. Albans over one of the weekends.

I'd be staying at Jury's Inn in Watford as that's the hotel that our company typically puts employees up in since its very close to the office (2 minute walk away). I'd be in Watford from 10/5 - 31/5 at the very least. Sounds It sounds like London is a relatively accessible. It also looks like trains run back to Watford (from London) up to at least 1a so that's good. Do you know if they have an "unlimited" type of train pass similar to what they have in New York? I'm guessing I'd also be able to find a gym relatively easily in Watford as my hotel unfortunately lacks one! Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,922 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watford

Watford Junction is a straight forward ten minute walk along Clarendon Road from your hotel which s arguably the best in central Watford.

There are various passes which are called travelcards. These can be bought by the day or by the week. The best option will depend on how much time you plan on spending in London. It might even be worth investing in an Oyster Card and loading it with what we call "Pay As You Go". I think these can be got (with a deposit) at Watford Junction but you may have to check.

The local YMCA across the street from the hotel has a gym as does this club which is about a ten minute walk - http://www.westhertsfitness.co.uk/

The advantage of the later is that the beer in the attached bar is the best in Watford (you are welcome to buy me a drink!) and you may get the chance to watch some cricket!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,837 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watford

Ah but does it serve American beer Adam? Or is our friend going to persever with British bitter?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,922 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watford

Local supermarkets stock Brooklyn Lager, Goose Island IPA and , best of all, Sierra Nevada IPA so the OP won't go thirsty if we can't persuade him to try a British bitter.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watford

Thanks everyone! Beer is beer! And I'm of the mindset that when in Rome....or Watford :)

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watford

Hello!

In the second half of August, I'm going to stay in Watford. My plane lands in Luton. For three weeks I will stay at the YMCA on WATFORD, HERTS WD12RT.

Every morning I have to be in The Lodge, 92 Uxbridge Road, Harrow Weald, Middlesex, HA3 6DQ. Therefore I would like to ask you to verify my information.

1 - In newsagent at the airport: buy Oystercard to have cheaper transport to the YMCA. (is it possible?)

2 - I get on the bus no. 321 (how far is the bus stop from the airport?)

3 - I finish my trip on Watford junction. I'm with you 20 kg of luggage, I go to the YMCA. (How far is it?)

4 - The next morning: go to the Steiner Training Academy (bus no. 258)

Thus, for three weeks;)

Additionally I have a question ... whether in the UK consider Polish student ID cards, ISIC or European Youth Card (I mean discounts on rides)? Maybe you have another idea to survive there on a tight budget?

Greetings: *

Adrianna

Mentioned in this post
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Watford

1 Oyster cards are no good on the 321 bus

2. I need to look this up - it looks as though it's changed

3. 10 minutes walk to the YMCA - half a mile

4. You can use an Oyster on the 258. There will be newsagents in the Watford Junction area that will sell you one

5 Your Polish student ID is generally no good for transport discounts - sometimes for admissions

Edited: 05 May 2014, 15:41
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Watford

The 321 no longer serves Luton Airport. You need to get an A bus, right outside the airport, and travel into Luton - Luton Station Interchange and get the 321 there.

The 321 continues from Watford Junction into the centre of Watford with a stop very near the YMCA - no 10 minute walk.

Mentioned in this post
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Watford

So google lied to me, I'd probably panic at the airport. Thank You very much for your help.

Now I've to begin focus my physiotherapeutic powers and earn more cash on this trip ;)

I will probably buy a new phone with a sim card. Which provider do you recommend? Because of the relatively short stay in the game, I take into consideration only Pay & Go. (Is my english very annoying?)

Thank You once more!