We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Express First Class

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Heathrow Express First Class

Is it worth the extra money to book a first class ticket for the Heathrow Express? What are the extra advantages?

London
Level Contributor
401 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Express First Class

Frankly ? None !!

IT's quieter and the seats are a bit more comfortable. But there's never a problem with getting a seat anyway, and it's a 15 minute journey !

£14.50 is a rip off as it is for a trip from Heathrow to Paddington, so don't reward the BAA with even more cash.!

Right, off my hobby horse now !

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Express First Class

In my opinion no, it is a very short journey and standard class on the HEX is very comfortable. I'm not sure of all the advantages although I would imagine you would get your own, quieter section of the train, a bigger and more comfortable seat and probably a newspaper.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Express First Class

No - the standard cars are just as nice. The "Quiet" cars are especially good as no cell phones are allowed. They are clearly marked. Save your money, you'll only be on there for 15 minutes.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Express First Class

Monty I'm with you, these 'express' trains are a rip-off!!

I used the HEX for the first time ever the other week, to get from my office at Green Park to Heathrow took me 45 minutes, marginally quicker than it would have been to take the Picadilly line the whole way and cost me £12 more!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Express First Class

I accidentally sat in the "first class" car on my first HEX trip, and the ride was almost over before the ticket collector came by, pointed out my mistake, and told me I'd have to move or pay an extra fee.

Frankly, once I saw the regular class, I really couldn't tell the difference. I think perhaps it was decorated in a different colour?

Chico
Level Contributor
370 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Express First Class

Depending on your flight time, there may be very few passengers riding the HEX. On our trip in June, we had an entire car to ourselves at 10:00 in the morning on a Sunday. I wouldn't pay extra for first class. In fact, look at previous threads on this site to get a 25% discount on your HEX tickets. We always stay near Hyde Park, so the HEX is the best option for us as far as time (15 min.) and convenience (an easy stroll to our hotel).

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Express First Class

Is it worth paying £14.50 for the HEX when you can take the Heathrow Connect Service for £9.50

Connect goes from Paddington to Heathrow in about 25 minutes (10 minutes longer than HEX) It stops I think 4 times and there is a train every 30 minutes.

I think they are doing a promotion at the moment where up to 2 children can travel for free with every paying adult.

Bobby

Barry House

ALJ
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Express First Class

No it's not worth paying first class at all since there are no extra advantages. The train itself is quite nice, so I wouldn't bother going first class.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Express First Class

Thanks for all your helpful advice! I had a feeling that something didn't sound right about traveling "first class" for 15 minutes but thought I'd ask.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Express First Class

Bobby,

The Heathrow Connect is a good option if you've got the time. It only runs once, maybe twice, per hour. The time I took it, at least 2 HEX's left while I was waiting for the Connect.

It was worth saving the £4 for me at the time, but it might not always be worth it.

On the other hand, if you've got that extra time, you might as well take the tube.