We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Pass

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
London Pass

I will be traveling to London the later part of May with two Adult daughters. I have been looking at the London Pass which seems to cover many of the "main tourist type attractions, I am wondering if it is worth the investment or better to just wait and pay as you go to the sites we decide to see?

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Pass

Please do a quick and easy forum search for "London pass" and you'll get tons of very recent opinions, most of them negative.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Pass

Along with MChiddy's suggestion, please read the two traveller articles about Travelcards and two for one offers, which should be of much more value to you even though you are travelling as a trio.

The traveller articles are located in the Top Questions about London section to the right of the forums posts.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,530 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Pass

In many cities a pass makes sense, but in London there is the 2-4-1 offer that you can combine with the transportation option you will need to buy anyway, and many of the museums and other sites are free, or not covered.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

Perth
Level Contributor
436 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Pass

I realise that every time somebody raises the issue of the London Pass they are helpfully directed to things like the 2-4-1, which makes great sense. I'm also a great believer in the benefit of a good guide book and taking notice of when there are specials for various sites. However, we will be in London in late July. Having previously lived in Windsor, and knowing just how crazy tourist season can be, I wonder if it's wise to get a London Pass simply to avoid the huge queues for some of the sites which we want to visit. We always try to avoid travelling to Europe at this time of year, but it couldn't be avoided on this trip, and there are so many places that my man and I want to visit together for the first time. So, London Pass and avoid the queues, just because of the time of year?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Pass

" I wonder if it's wise to get a London Pass simply to avoid the huge queues for some of the sites which we want to visit."

Which sites do you want to visit that are covered by the London Pass queue jump, that you think there will be 'huge queues' at?

Generally speaking 'huge queues' aren't a major problem in London and can be avoided by sensible planning, timing and prebooking.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,431 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Pass

Whilst someone with a London Pass will bypass the ticket desk at The Tower of London, they'll still be subject to security checks (one possible queue) and any queues there may be for the Crown Jewels.

One of the main places with queues is Madam Tussauds - I don't know if you're interested in that or not.

Perth
Level Contributor
436 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Pass

Hi Kennydon,

Thanks for that. Madam Tussauds isn't of interest; I visited there back in the 1970s when I lived in England, and embarrassed myself enough trying to strike up a conversation with a very "still" person in the cafe. What makes me think that the pass may be beneficial is having seen people in Paris who had some sort of pass simply by-pass the huge queues to go up the Eiffel Tower. Perhaps we'll just do what we always do when we visit Paris and rock up really early to whichever places we want to visit.

Cheers, Geebee2

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,663 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London Pass

< seems to cover many of the "main tourist type attractions >

Given many of the "main tourist type attractions " are free...

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,530 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Pass

There are only seven properties in the London Pass that have the "skip the queue" option. Here's the list...

Westminster Abbey

Tower of London

Hampton Court Palace

Windsor Castle

London Bridge Experience

ZSL London Zoo

Kensington Palace

If that was your only criteria for purchasing the pass, I wouldn't. Out of those, you would not wait in line more than 15-20 minutes, and could avoid that at say, Windsor Castle by timing it so that you do not arrive when the coach tours do.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Pass

Snort!

Sorry, OP, loved the image of you trying to chat to a waxwork...... :)