We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone carrier at airport

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Phone carrier at airport

Are there any phone carrier service at the Heathrow airport? I would like to add sim card to my phone once I arrive the airport to get 4G data to use.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone carrier at airport

There are vending machines selling Sim cards in the baggage halls at T5 and (if memory serves) T3 at Heathrow, but I wouldn't advise using them. The charges for the cards can be £5 to £10 for the Sim itself with no PAYG time added to it, extremely poor value.

When you get to central London look for one of the many Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U shops who will have Sims for about a pound. Convenience shops often sell Lycamobile and Lebara Sims for a pound as well, with these two offering good rates for overseas calls, but I don't know about the cost for data.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone carrier at airport

There are vending machines selling Sim cards in the baggage halls at T5 and (if memory serves) T3 at Heathrow.

----

Yep I noticed a sim vending machine at t3 in arrivals at the weekend but I also would agree, wait until you are in central London and buy there when you should be able to get a sim with a plan that meets your needs rather than what is likely to be a very expensive one.

Some of the best rates for data will be with 3 or EE so you could also ask in one of their shops.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone carrier at airport

FYI UK carriers are only just rolling out 4G and whilst central London is fairly well covered Heathrow is more hit and miss with 4G. That having been said decent HSDPA should be fast enough for most purposes. Some of the carriers' back haul can make speeds quite slow even at peak departure times if you did have full 4G signal

4. Re: Phone carrier at airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 06:15