We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 full days in london confused on travelcard

Melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
4 full days in london confused on travelcard

Interested in using the 2 4 1 offers.. I have read the article on this topic but still a bit confused.

As we catching a taxi/minicab to our hotel (melia White House) from heathrow.. Can I buy a 3 day travel pass at airport then use it in the tube?

Otherwise I might buy a 7d travel pass for the sake of convienance.

We expect to visit about 6-9 places in the 2 4 1 guide.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.15*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.56*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.56*
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 full days in london confused on travelcard

Can I buy a 3 day travel pass at airport then use it in the tube?

====================

3 day travel passes have been discontinued.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,404 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 full days in london confused on travelcard

You need to buy travelcards at a NATIONAL RAIL ticket office to qualify for the 2FOR1 offers - these can be found inside any main line rail terminus in Central London but there isn't one at Heathrow.

You can buy one-day peak or off-peak (after 09.30 Monday-Friday) travelcards, in advance for the second and third day if you want, or you can buy seven day travelcards which have no peak/off-peak time restriction. Note that for the seven day cards each person must supply a passport-sized photo.

Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 full days in london confused on travelcard

I've always used a travellers Oyster Card when visiting london, but have recently been checking this forum and learning about the Travel card. I'm going down to london with members of my family (me and my husband who both have Oyster Cards) my older sister, my sister in law, my mum and my niece (8 years old) who do not have Oyster cards. Because this is a first time trip for the rest of my family we're planning on doing all of the touristy things! We arrive on the Friday morning and leave Monday night. Are my family members better buying the 7 day travel cards (as they're cheaper than 4x1 day cards)? And would they require pictures? And to qualify for the 2-4-1 offers, what do they need to? Just turn up at attractions and show your card? Also, would myself and my husband be better buying travel cards this time instead of our oyster? (In order to be eligible for the 2-4-1?)

sorry for the mass of questions there, just recently found out about travel cards and 2-4-1 and very confused!

Thank you!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 full days in london confused on travelcard

If they're travelling by train their rail tickets (both bits, outward and return are eligible for the 2for1). For you living in London you would need paper travelcards from a rail station. 1 day cards do not need photos, 7 day ones need passport sized (not quality) photos. You also need vouchers from the 2for1 guide:

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

It's all explained in the traveller article, top right of the TALF home page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 full days in london confused on travelcard

For you living in London you would need paper travelcards from a rail station.

-------------

Sorry, misread. If you are travelling to London by train you too would be eligible. If not, get travelcards from a rail station as per article.

Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 full days in london confused on travelcard

Thank you for your help!

We're flying to Luton so won't get a station until we're in London, so we just have to make sure it's a proper train station (such as Kings Cross) that we buy our 7 day travel cards from (with a passport photo of us for it)?

And print out our vouchers from the days out site and use these along with our 7 day travel cards when visiting each attraction? And both me and husband will just get 7 day travel cards this time instead of topping up our Oyster Cards?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,845 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 full days in london confused on travelcard

< We're flying to Luton so won't get a station until we're in London, >

How are you getting to London - most people take the shuttle bus to Luton Airport Parkway then train from there. You can buy a return ticket at the airport for all of this trip

Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 full days in london confused on travelcard

Well as there are 6 of us, we had thought about just booking a MPV to take us from Luton to our apartment. Didn't really think about the possibility of using the train! Thanks for the tip though, will look to see how much this will cost!

London
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 full days in london confused on travelcard

If you arrive into LTN after rush hour (Mon Fri, no restriction weekends) you can buy your rail tickets with "Groupsave". That allows four adults to travel for the price of two. The rail company have a ticket office in the airport, and if you buy your ticket there it'll include the shuttle bus journey to the railway station.

Toronto
Level Contributor
971 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 full days in london confused on travelcard

Friday to Monday is a pretty quick trip...if your apartment is close to the attractions, I'd just do pay-go Oyster.