We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

Hello everyone.

I will be reaching London coming Mon and need some real quick help here please.

1) I am thinking to take the Big Bus Tour for 1 round to have a overview of the London attractions and then do the HOHO to the attractions where we wanted to see. Some people are saying that the Bus Tour might not be necessary which can be replaced by Tubes and buses. Are there any buses which run similar route to the Big Bus tour? Bug Bus tour ticket costs over 30 pounds per pax and I understand that if we uses the Oyster card on Buses, there will be a cap on the Bus trip of $4.40 pound. So it save quite abit compare to the Bus Tour

2) I had read across the forum that the Buckingham Palace is only opened for a limited time during july till august. Is there anything we can see or do there if they are not open in Apr/May? Is this the place where we see the changing of guard ceremony? Or we can see it at the Tower of London? Is tower of London worth going? Little confuse between the Buckingham palace and tower of London after reading too much stuff within a short time.

3) Which one offer a better view of London? The London Eye or the Shard?

4) Any Barclays Premier League Soccer Stadium that is situated near to Russell Square area (within London area) or should I ask the least travel time to the stadium just to tour the stadium? (like Arsenal, Chelsea, etc)

5) Anywhere else near to Russell Square offers great view of London?

6) Is there any must eat/try food that is near to Russell Square area that is recommended?

7) Is London Transportation museum and Science Museum worth going for 2 thirty plus year old adults?

Thank you everyone in advance for the questions!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,943 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

The Changing of the Guard is at Buckingham Palace. It happens at 11.30 but you are recommended to get there for 11am for a good view or earlier as it gets crowded.

www.changing-the-guard.com/dates-times.html

Buckingham Palace is where the Queen stays and heads of state visite.

The Tower of London is quite different, more recently used (as in a few hundred years ago) as a prison and execution site. You will see the Queens jewels, beefeater and warders. Get there early to beat most of the queues.

http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

The bus tours are just that: tours. They are not really suitable for travelling between attractions because they are not as frequent, nor as extensive as the Tube and regular bus network.

The Tower of London is one of the oldest, if not THE oldest building in London. Parts date back around 1000 years - the White Tower was built by William the Conqueror.

Buckingham Palace isn't very old at all, relatively speaking.

Buckingham Palace is a palace, the Tower of London is basically a castle. Plenty of info about the Tower on the official website: http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/

Edited: 24 April 2014, 18:20
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

The Big Bus Tour IS a hop-on hop-off bus. Use it once around for an overview of London then use walking, tube or normal buses for the rest of your transport.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

As for the London Transport Museum, I'd say yes. I went a little while ago (because I got free entry as part of an Aldwych station tour), and enjoyed it, and I'm older than that. I'd been before, but that was many, many years ago

I used go to the Science Museum a lot, but I haven't been since I was at school.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

I believe the Tower was where they executed spies in WW2. So it was fully functional quite recently. The Queen doesn't live there but the Beefeaters do.

Let's bulldoze Russell Square and build a football stadium. Excellent idea.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4,964 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

Tower of London is worth it. The Crown Jewels are really nice. Us commoners don't have anything like it. The Yeoman Warder tours are great. Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace less worth it, but I think you should still go and at least SEE the palace. I enjoyed the London Transport Museum. I'm 40+ and enjoy things like the history of busses and trains and cabs and whatnot. It's a well done museum and conveniently located in Covent Garden. Plenty of things to do around there before or after a visit.

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

thank you suebovington, Bungle73, Geegesh, Akkarin and Jeff M for your replies.

Yes i think we will most likely be visiting the Buckingham Palace and Tower of London then :)

For the transportation museum, will see if my wife is keen.

For the replacement for the HOHO bus, i am still searching for a similar public bus route that will shows us similar attraction to the BIG BUS Tour. If can find a similar one then might give the Big Bus tour a miss :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

The Emirates Stadium (Arsenal's) is the easiest to get to (and the best club stadium). 15 minutes on the Picadilly Line from Warren Street to Holloway Road and a short walk. Watch out for dust in the trophy room though ;)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

Bus routes 9, 11 and 15 all offer a decent alternative to the HOHO buses. The last still runs the old Routemaster buses as an added bonus.

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick help needed for upcoming April London Trip

Thank you admahornets for the bus numbers.

Hi People. Do your think we can cover these below areas within a day since they are pretty near to each other? or 2 days will be good?

Trafalgar Square

Oxford Street

Leicester Square

Picadilly circus

Covent Garden

Chinatown