We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

Denver, Colorado USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

Hi all,

I am taking my 13 year old daughter to London for the first time and we are actually going because she is a crazy fan. I have assured her that she will not be seeing Benedict Cumberbatch, but I was wondering if any of the Dr. Who or Sherlock tours are any good? They claim to take you to film locations but I am on a serious budget and don't want to pay tons of cash for a cheesy tour we can easily manage on our own. What do you think, dear advisors?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

Can you tell us when you will be doing this? The reason that I'm asking is that both Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are appearing in plays this year. Even if you don't want to go and see them she could stand by the stage door and maybe get a couple of autographs.

I don't know about the tours cos I've never been on one, but you should certainly go to St Bartholomew's Hospital near Smithfield Market which is where Sherlock jumped of to fake his death. There's a red telephone box there where Sherlockians leave little notes, which is quite sweet.

This video by two Norwegian girls shows a lot of places that your daughter might like to visit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV7Sk2-1780

Mentioned in this post
Smithfield Market
Smithfield Market
58 Reviews
London, UK
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,906 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

Here's a link to my trip report from this past Dec/Jan with my 16 y/o Dr Who/Sherlock fan daughter. We focused a lot on Dr Who with a touch of Sherlock.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k70677…

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,906 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

Also, this website lists a lot of Sherlock places you can visit on your own.

www.sherlockology.com/

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

Dr Who is primarily filmed in Cardiff/South Wales where the Dr Who Experience tour is also located. Was going to link you btgm's trip report, but see that she has already done so.

Actually, much of Sherlock is also filmed in Cardiff, but they do do the recognisable outdoor stuff in London...

Edited: 25 April 2014, 10:25
Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
London
London
England, UK
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,906 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

In fact, much of the "London" part of Dr Who is filmed in Cardiff. It was interesting to see the places in Cardiff that they transformed into London by adding Underground signs or red phone boxes.

Brit Movie Tours (who we used in Cardiff for the bus tour) also does Sherlock and Dr Who walking and bus tours in London, but we didn't do any of them. I'd expect them to be good though, based on our Cardiff one.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Brit Movie Tours
Brit Movie Tours
817 Reviews
London, UK
Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

London walks do a Sherlock tour but I think that's more the books, I will try it on my next trip in March I think. Wish they'd do a Doctor Who tour!

also, you'll probably see this mentioned in BGTM's excellent report, The Forbidden Planet is an excellent shop, loads of Doctor Who and I also got a I AM SHER LOCKED hoodie(and they had a few more sherlock, Doctor Who wins though)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Forbidden Planet
Forbidden Planet
419 Reviews
London, UK
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,906 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

I've heard the same about the Sherlock Holmes tour with London Walks. Sometime I'll do it without my daughter (who I keep trying to get to read the actual books, but she hasn't yet...)

If you're going to be there when BC and MF are in plays, I'd recommend it. You'll read about our David Tennant photo saga in my trip report, but we did get autographs from both DT and Matt Smith. It's interesting to see them in something different if you're a big fan (or even if you're sort of a medium fan corralled into it by your big fan teenager).

Mentioned in this post
London Walks
London Walks
1,702 Reviews
London, UK
Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
706 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

About Sherlock:

Martin Freeman is doing Richard III from July 1st to September 27th, 2014.

Benedict Cumberbatch is doing Hamlet in the Summer of 2015.

Andrew Scott is doing Birdland until May 31st, 2014.

Check the link @btgm gave you (Sherlockology). Most of the show is filmed in Cardiff but some exteriors are filmed in London, most notably the façade of 221B Baker Street (187 North Gower Street) and St. Bart's Hospital.

Mentioned in this post
Scott's
Scott's
2,026 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Baker Street
Baker Street
353 Reviews
London, UK
Gower Hotel
Gower Hotel
254 Reviews
London, UK
Denver, Colorado USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

Eclectic_angel, we are going to be there from 29 June through 5 July. She would flip if she got within 1 mile of Benedict.

10. Re: Traveling with a teenage Dr. Who/Sherlock fanatic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 06:15