We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

There are brands, but that's not what I'm looking for here - more like a description of types

Okay - there's stout - at the far end. Mostly Guiness, but I know there are others, just don't know who/what they are

Then there's Ale - please fill in

And bitters

And lager

Then Cider

And which ones are served at room tiem or chilled ... and what can one expect to find on tap or just in bottles/cans?

Does every pub have a selection, or at least one of, each type?

Are there differences in Cider - or just brands of ciders?

Hope this will clear things up

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

MMM: Good questions. Even though I don't drink, I've always wondered what the differences are between bitters, ale, lager and beer.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

My, my, my MMM, where to begin....I'm sure the more knowledgeable will give you the definitive answers you need, but I'll just give you my own versions.

Stout - yes, Guiness (one of my favs) dark, smooth tasting, not bitter at all, looks like it would taste heavy but it really doesn't, and with a wonderful creamy head on top, yummy

Ale - real cask conditioned ale is the best. There will be lots of different taps behind the bar that have ale. Look for Youngs, London Pride, Greene King Old Hooky, Old Peculiar (high alcohol content), and many more that the experts can tell you about. I usually order a Youngs Bitter or London Pride (the barman has always been happy to give me samples of some that I wanted to try). And ale is pumped (usually three pumps) not pressurized. The term bitter is just a style of ale. It's gold to copper colored, medium bodied and low carbonation. I think that's why I love ale - the low carbonation. These are served at cool (not ice cold) temps, and that is the best taste.

Lager - different style of beer, I think of this as lighter beer served much colder. And the lagers have more carbonation. Try some - they are great (think big German beer steins).

Pubs have LOTS of selection, it's wonderful. I'm usually thinking, "So many taps.....so little time!!!" I haven't really tried the ciders (next trip).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

Try this for styles of real ale

http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=aboutale

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

Wow FSM - that clears up a lot. Wonder if there's anyplace to find out about different Ciders? Gonna have to do some more research. Thanks all. Ta. MMM!

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

MMM510,

http://www.sheppyscider.com/

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/

…ntlworld.com/scrumpy/cider/homepage.htm

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

Good Golly Miss Molly, KES, I'd never even imagined there was such a thing as Perry! And that sounds just scrumptious! I'm gonna have to find some now! Wonder if any is imported into the USA. I'm having a hard time finding even cider here - although my local Chip Shop serves it. Check out their web site - it should give you a chuckle or two.

http://www.chipshopnyc.com

And they (Scrumpy) said there were still 4 remaining pubs in all of England that serve only cider! Incredible. I may have to do some serious research/tasting next time around!

Thanks for all the posts here ... with just tons of info.

Ta. MMM!

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

The scrumpy site, as near as I can tell, only listed one of the "cider only" pubs. I'm not a big cider fan but it might be a fun road trip to visit some of the these places.

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

Oh Jack - wouldn't that be fun!?! I wonder if any of them serve Perry? I have to find out how I can taste that - it sounds like it would be fabu!

I'm gonna have to stop at my chip shop for dinner tonight and have a half pint of cider ... perhaps 2.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

Cider Brandy too:

http://www.ciderbrandy.co.uk/

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer Primer (bit of Cider too)

That's interesting. We have something in the States called Apple Jack - I wonder if it's similar. Perhaps I'll have to do a taste test. I'll bring a bottle of Apple Jack along on my next trip, then see if we can get a bottle of Somerset Cider Brandy and check them out ... perhaps with an assortment of some cheeses and crackers ... perhaps a few grapes, hmmmm.