We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Tea,Wolseley Hotel or The Orangery at Kensington ?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Afternoon Tea,Wolseley Hotel or The Orangery at Kensington ?

We've made online reservations for both the Wolseley and The Orangery for Afternoon Tea at

the end of May and are trying to decide between the two. It will be our second day in London

and we will have toured the Tower of London in the morning and are looking forward to a relaxing afternoon with tea and scones. Has anyone been to both and prefer one over the other? Is one

more formal than the other? Prices seem to be similar.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,616 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon Tea,Wolseley Hotel or The Orangery at Kensington ?

The Wolsley is not an Hotel, but gets lots of mentions here for being good.

The Orangery is a nice setting, and "casual" but recent reviews not promising...

Check out TA Reviews for both, that is what they are there for....

UK
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon Tea,Wolseley Hotel or The Orangery at Kensington ?

I have had tea at both. The Orangerie left me totally underwhelmed and I've never been back. The Wolsley on the other hand offers food of a higher quality and creates more a sense of occasion without being formal. It is my venue of choice when meeting friends.

Trenton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon Tea,Wolseley Hotel or The Orangery at Kensington ?

I have not had tea at the Orangery, but EssexWanderer is right, recent TA reviews have not been great. I had tea at the Wolseley in October and was underwhelmed, to say the least. It was crowded, busy and incredibly noisy - the room has high ceilings and hard surfaces, which amplify the noise and make conversation difficult - and I had to send my teapot back because the water was only lukewarm. Service was distracted and rushed. It really wasn't anything to write home about. If you are looking for a relaxing afternoon tea experience, this wouldn't be it. I'd say keep looking.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon Tea,Wolseley Hotel or The Orangery at Kensington ?

As mentioned above, they are very different animals. One is a lovely Viennese-style brasserie with very good food; the other is a very casual café in a grand setting. The Orangery was a gem once-upon-a-time, but no longer, I'm afraid.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 09:47
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon Tea,Wolseley Hotel or The Orangery at Kensington ?

The Wolseley is a busy, large, high ceiling, amazing art deco, brasserie style café/restaurant, it was built for the Wolseley car company, and an original architect’s drawing is displayed inside.

There is no privacy for diners and can be noisy, but if you like people watching and don’t mind other people’s tables near you then that’s ok.

Hillary Clinton was taken there by the British Foreign Secretary.

The nearby Athenaeum Hotel is a better place for a relaxing afternoon tea in the garden room; however recent reports are that it’s not as good as it used to be.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon Tea,Wolseley Hotel or The Orangery at Kensington ?

Have had afternoon tea at The Wolseley which was nice and enjoyable, but as others have said, it's a busy venue and not necessarily quiet and relaxing.

UK
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon Tea,Wolseley Hotel or The Orangery at Kensington ?

I would stick with the winners even if decibel surplus Owners have bought over idea of famous brasserie

and imrpoved upon it. th eone thing that bugs me about some in Vienna is that unless you have been going there for yonks the regs who have, always seem to have better seat than me. Regmaiche

8. Re: Afternoon Tea,Wolseley Hotel or The Orangery at Kensington ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:17