We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Care to join a Wilberforce-themed London Walk on 14 June?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Care to join a Wilberforce-themed London Walk on 14 June?

Hello,

In perusing the London Walks website, I discovered that they offer by special appointment a walk based around William Wilberforce and the abolition of the slave trade. This is a special interest of mine, so i inquired about the walk. It is not on the regular schedule, but is offered as a private walk for a group of up to 18 at a price of 130GBP for the group.

That's a little steep for just my husband and I, but perhaps some of you TALFers would like to join us? The guide is available in the afternoon on Saturday, 14 June. Here's the description of the walk:

AMAZING GRACE

A Walk to Celebrate the Abolition of the Slave Trade

Pace Winston Churchill...this may have been London's finest hour!

Their names ring down the centuries, the great and the good who fought for freedom: Wilberforce, Wedgewood, Wesley, Blake, John Newton, Cowper. And that's not to forget the lesser known who began the cause: Granville Sharp, Thomas Clarkson, James Phillips and Oladouh Equiano.

Truly, here in the bosom of the City beat the heart of compassion, answering the slave's cry, "Am I not a man and a Brother?"

Amazing Grace indeed.

"Spots of time" (and place) don't come any more important than this one. Which is why it's important to go and see where – to go over the ground, literally and figuratively – to travel back...to bear witness.

The starting point for The Amazing Grace walk is MonumentTube.

Meet just outside the Fish Street Hill exit.

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Care to join a Wilberforce-themed London Walk on 14 June?

It seems very pricey so it's not for me. If you ever get to the city of Hull they have a statue of him which to me seemed taller thanNelson's Column.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Care to join a Wilberforce-themed London Walk on 14 June?

Eclectic_Angel.

Nelson's Column is taller by far. 169 feet 3 inches.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/24906

William Wilberforce Monument 102 feet

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3784204

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Care to join a Wilberforce-themed London Walk on 14 June?

If there are 18 people, it is only 7GBP per person. That's why I am trying to recruit a group. I can't afford it either without finding some more people.

Thanks for the tip about Hull.

4. Re: Care to join a Wilberforce-themed London Walk on 14 June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 05:16