We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube Strike May

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tube Strike May

Hi

I am returning from Edinburgh to King's Cross railway station on 7 May ard 9pm. If the tube strike does happen, what's the best way for me to travel back to Limehouse DLR area?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,079 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube Strike May

Northern Line to Bank (seriously, it generally has a reasonable service on strike days as many of the drivers do not belong to the RMT Union) and pick up the DLR there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube Strike May

If there is no service on the tube, then take a train from St Pancras to Stratford International (separate ticket required - Oyster cards not valid) and then take the DLR from Stratford International to Limehouse, with a change at Canning Town.

Alternatively, take bus no. 17, 91 or 259 the short distance to Caledonian Road & Barnsbury, from where the overground will take you to Stratford where you can pick up the DLR.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube Strike May

We will be staying in Chelsea from the 7th to the 11th and had planned to go to Tower of London on the 8th. Does anybody know how to get there from where we will be staying if the strikes do happen? Is there a cheaper way to use taxis for that day or will it cost too much considering there will also be more traffic than usual?

London & Paris
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube Strike May

Daphne G: "We will be staying in Chelsea from the 7th to the 11th and had planned to go to Tower of London on the 8th."

TfL have not yet released their plans for the second strike. For the first one this coming week, they intend to run a District Line train every 6 minutes or so between South Kensington and Tower Hill, which could be suitable for you. Note that Gloucester Road and Sloane Square stations will be closed. We'll have to wait and see whether similar arrangements will apply during the second strike.

It would help us to advise on alternative routes (e.g. bus) if you told us where in Chelsea you are staying.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,079 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube Strike May

Go to the Tower on a day when a strike isn't planned?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube Strike May

wirewiper "Go to the Tower on a day when a strike isn't planned?".

Well, we have made specific plans for each day and have already pre-booked most of them hence the lack of flexibility.

@RichardRFC Our nearest bus stop will be Chelsea Old Town Hall on King's Road. I think that South Ken tube station is nearer than Sloane Square ( about 400 meters from where we will be staying) but as you said this depends on whether they will have that station open when or if the strike happens. We probably can get a bus to where we want but I am a bit worried that they will be very crowded and too much traffic and this is never a great thing with a 5 year old on a trip.

Also was hoping on taking the tube from Terminal 5 in Heathrow to South Kensigton when we arrive but I guess that will not happen. Currently looking at the options for mini cabs?

London & Paris
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube Strike May

Jokasta (are you with Daphne G?): Bus 11 from Chelsea Old Town Hall (stop KL) to the stop "Trafalgar Square/Charing Cross", then bus 15 would get you to the Tower of London in about 70 minutes, but as you say that might be longer due to congestion.

On arrival on the 7th, if the Tube operates as is planned for the first strike this week, you should be able to get a Piccadilly Line train from Heathrow T123 to Acton Town, and then a District Line train to South Kensington. Both services will be less frequent than usual, though. You would need to use Heathrow Express to get from T5 to T123.

The first strike this week is likely to go ahead. The second one - who knows?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube Strike May

Thank you for the very detailed information! I never thought that it would be 70+ minutes by bus to the Tower of London. Would it be wise to use a mini cab on that day or would it cost a fortune?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,079 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube Strike May

>>> Well, we have made specific plans for each day and have already pre-booked most of them hence the lack of flexibility. <<<

OK fair enough, but for those who can rearrange their plans around the strike, they will be making things easier for themselves and leaving the available public transport for those who really need it.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tube Strike May

>> OK fair enough, but for those who can rearrange their plans around the strike, they will be making things easier for themselves and leaving the available public transport for those who really need it. >>

True but I would imagine that many tourists vising your city have spent quite a deal of money to be able to come and see it so I would classify them as people "who really need it". Shame to be saving up months or years for a few days trip to London only to be stranded to wherever your hotel is. I do not blame the strike as I come from a country which unfortunately strikes too frequently, but when this happens I feel bad both for the person needing to reach his work as for the tourist who has spent all this money and has all those fair expectations.