We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding at Templeton

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding at Templeton

Good morning all,

My BF and I will be attending a wedding next week right outside London at Templeton. The thing is we are not sure what is acceptable to wear. (cocktail dress? skirt and shirt?)

What do you wear the wedding on the English Countryside? Is it more casual or formal? As my bf and I are from NY and have not attended ANY weddings in the UK we just are in search of a little direction. As always, TIA.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
437 reviews
from US$104.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$100.10*
Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding at Templeton

Best ask the person who invited you.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding at Templeton

What you would wear isn't particuarly different from a wedding in NY, just steer clear of anyting too flashy - ie. the cocktail dress is probably overkill.

Remember British country people are all about stealth wealth so being understated is a must - a cream ladies trouser suit would be fine, or as you suggested skirt and shirt.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding at Templeton

It's not easy to say as a lot depends on how formal or informal the wedding itself is. Templeton is a traditional English country house so I would guess that most ladies will wear a summery day dress and strappy sandals, and men will probably wear a smart jacket and trousers (not necessarily a suit, unless linen) with a jacket and, possibly, a tie. Hats are popular for ladies even for less formal weddings.

As Insightful says, your best bet is to check with the hosts as to how formal the arrangements are.

Enjoy the day!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding at Templeton

You can't go wrong with a summer dress (for tips, have a look at the kind of dresses they sell in shops like Monsoon). That is most likely what the women will be wearing.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding at Templeton

I saw a film once ("4 weddings and a Fun Rail", or something), which had an American lady in it. She wore stylish clothes and attracted the attention of Hugh Grant.

Maybe if you check the film to see what she wore......

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,426 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding at Templeton

Disregard the responses from our male co-posters.

Weddings vary enormously depending on the couple, the venue and the time of day. You will have to ask, in fact, often these days the invitation tells you the level of formality.

It is traditonally considered bad form to wear white as this competes with the bride.

If you really can't ask them then your best bet is a good suit (skirt or trousers) which perhaps you could vary at short notice with different shoes, tops or accessories.

Hats are often worn but seldom compulsory.

I have two good tips for weddings.

1. Wear a camisole or somethng under your top, as it is often chilly standing around in the UK.

2. Have a good cooked breakfast as you often don't get anything to eat till 4pm by which time you have drunk far too much champagne.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding at Templeton

Agree that you should check with the Bride. However if that isn't possible you can't go too wrong with a nice summery day dress and sandals as someone else mentioned.

It does pay to check as quite often there are customs that you aren't aware of. For example we went to the funeral of my Great Aunt in Scotland last month and were not aware it is customary for the men to all wear a black tie....

Farnham, Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding at Templeton

I agree with other posters - a summery day dress would be ideal and would serve you well in both casual/formal weddings (if dressed up with accessories) Also a pashmina to throw around your shoulders will dress up the outfit.

As well as white, it's best not to wear black too.

I've been to many weddings this year (it's been an expensive year) and the fashion at the moment is for feathers or hair decoration rather than hats. It can make an otherwise casual outfit look a bit dressier. Unless stated on the invite (it could say Morning Dress in which case men would wear morning coats) then my husband has been wearing linen jacket and smart trousers.

And the previous poster was so right - have a big breakfast as you don't know when the 'wedding breakfast' will be served!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding at Templeton

Wow, all great info. My plan originally was to wear a cocktail dress....but no longer. I have a great summery skirt, strappy sandals and a short sleeve sweater that has some lace along the neck line. This sounds like it could work, right? I didn't to have to lug a summer suit on my trip, so this will work prefectly.

Thanks for the input.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding at Templeton

Hi lildiss - yes, your skirt and top outfit sounds perfect.

By the way, Templeton is not that far out of London - only a few miles south-west - but it will feel like the country !

Have a lovely day.