We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loved London!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Loved London!

We had a great time in London. Here's a little about our trip (2 adults, 2 kids (11 & 13) )........

Holiday Inn Camden Lock - Great location to stay. (No alarm clock, hair blower outside of bathroom.) Clean hotel, friendly staff (especially Federica who helped with tour plans), lots of shops, restaurants, and short walk to Camden Town Underground Station. The Ice Warf, The Diner (breakfast), Mr Pretzel, Samba (frozen yogurt) were our favorite stops to eat near the hotel. Cafe Chula (mexican) while good was way over priced.

Camden Market - Lots of eating stands, lots of shopping.

Camden Town Undergound - Has escalators, but during a busy time had to use stairs to go down. Station closed Sundays something like 12-17, but I thought it was mentioned for outbound only. If coming into town with luggage or just want to avoid massive crowds on Camden High Street, recommend walking Parkway to Arlington Rd to the Holiday Inn (Jamestown Rd).

Bus Stop - Tired of the underground, take Bus 24 from Camden Rd down to Victoria Station (stops include Tottenham, Leicester) . Take Bus 27 to Baker St (Madame Tussauds). See londontoolkit.com/mnu/london_transport.htm for London Public Buses - Central London Map.

Favorite Stations to Visit (shop/eat) - Kings Cross/St Pancras & Waterloo. I'm sure there are other great stations, but these were the ones we visited.

Canturbury - Train from St Pancras (special online pricing). Shortest travel time was 56 minutes. Relaxing river tour, shopping, eating at Cafe Rouge, Evensong service at the Cathedral 17:30 - 18:15 (check for times on day of travel). We were there the Monday after Easter and most shops were closed by 17:00.

Other Faves: Marks & Spencer (M&S) store. St. Stephen's Pub (Westminster Station, WONDERFUL Sunday Roast).

Other Visits: Harry Potter Tour (Evans Tour), Madam Tussauds, Science Museum (too long of line for Natural History Museum), Primark (Tottenham Station), Harrods, Tower of London.

Onto Paris via Eurostar!

British Museum
Art Museums, History Museums
Churchill War Rooms
Historic Sites, History Museums, Military Museums
Natural History Museum
History Museums, Natural History Museums
Imperial War Museum
History Museums, Military Museums, Speciality Museums
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loved London!

Glad you enjoyed yourselves, and thank you for the trip report!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Loved London!

<<hair blower outside of bathroom.)>>

As it should be,illegal to have portable electrical equipment in bathroom, other than low power items (toothbrush, shaver) via special isolated outlet.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,650 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loved London!

Excellent report, TVM.

Quite a few hotels (UK and Europe) are not now providing alarms, as everyone has a phone...

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loved London!

Thanks for the feedback. I am still old fashioned with the alarm clock though.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loved London!

It sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to write it up! :). We will be in London in 47 days (followed by Paris), and can't wait!!

P.S. I love it when the hair dryer is not in the bathroom. It means I can do my hair while the Mr showers. :D

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loved London!

I should point out that there is a Tottenham station and a Tottenham Court Road station but they are several miles apart. Anyone wanting to go to the Primark mentioned should go to Tottenham Court Road.

The good news for our American friends, in case they missed the announcement a few days ago, is that Primark is to open some stores in the north-east of the US. The first will be in Boston and is expected to begin trading toward the end of 2015.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loved London!

Thanks for the clarification on the Tottenham Court. We loved Primark. Hopefully they eventually make their way to the Midwest.

Level Contributor
2,979 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loved London!

Thanks for posting. We too missed the alarm clocks in the rooms which seems to be the norm? I know we have our phones but like seeing the clock

My peep will be thrilled to hear about Primark hope they make it to the Midwest. I know many hate but perfect for the tween set!

Enjoy Paris

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loved London!

I actually turned off the clock in my last room because the liht was too bright

Glad you had a nice time.

And we've just got a Primark in Nijmegen :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,508 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loved London!

Glad you enjoyed your trip and your stay in Camden.