We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which tour should we take?

Ft.Lauderdale,FL
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Which tour should we take?

I have been planning our trip to London for about a year now. We are going in November and I wanted to start getting all the tickets for the places we want to see so we won't have to wait too long in lines.

Come to find out that the tour that my husband wanted to go on from Premium Tours to Stonehenge isn't available in Nov. (the one where you can touch the stones) So I have to choose another tour. We still want to see Stonehenge, but now that there are 3 tours to choose from I'm not sure which one is the better one. Please help!

Here is what tours there are:

BATH, STONEHENGE AND WINDSOR

STONEHENGE, WINDSOR AND OXFORD

STRATFORD, STONEHENGE, BATH AND THE COTSWOLDS

I like the idea of going to Windsor, mostly because its a castle but is there something better at Oxford or the Cotswolds? We will be taking a tour to Leeds castle so that will get me my castle fix if Oxford or the Cotswolds has something more interesting. Any advise would be great!

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which tour should we take?

I will never know how these companies expect to show people Bath, Stonehenge and Windsor all in one day....however, if I were to choose one of the three that would be the tour I would go on.

The reason being that I personally find more to do at Bath than Oxford however if you are interested in buildings and the university then perhaps you would prefer the latter. I love Windsor and would certainly pick a tour that includes it, beautiful place and the castle is worth a look around. I would not go on the last of the three as I fail to understand how it is remotely possible to visit Stratord, Stonehenge, Bath and the Cotswolds in one day. You would spend 3/4 of the time on the bus and the rest running around qickly taking photographs.

On another note, Stonehenge, Bath, Oxford and Windsor are all easily reachable from London on a day trip. You will find plenty of advice in previous threads and we would be more than happy to assist with train tickets and the like. If you had the time and the patience to organise it yourself you would save money, I do however completely understand the attraction of a tour.

Ft.Lauderdale,FL
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which tour should we take?

Yes I know I could probably do a tour myself for much less money but the allure of just sitting back and letting others do the work and the worrying about where and how to get to places is just too appealing to pass up!

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which tour should we take?

Agree with you completely :o)

Boston...
Level Contributor
928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which tour should we take?

Just throwing this out there. I did a Stonehenge, Salisbury, Bath tour a couple of years ago. I would recommend it, BUT with an adjustment.

We had plenty of time for Stonehenge & Salisbury, but by the time we got to Bath, we were running so late, I felt like the Griswolds doing the Louvre!! We barely had any time to look around!

If you have the time (and because Bath & the surrounding area is so lovely) I would recommend doing the tour w/ an overnight in Bath so you can explore to your heart's content. You simply catch the next day's bus back to London.

I booked this through Golden Tours.

USA
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which tour should we take?

Another option is the Stonehenge and Salisbury Explorer Day offered by London Walks: www.walks.com . We enjoyed this tour immensely. I was awed by the town of Salisbury and the cathedral. I am guessing that the cost of £45 from Waterloo Station is competitive.

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I was underwhelmed by Stonehenge.

We spent most of a day at Windsor Castle, the town of Windsor, and had a brief look at Eton. I can not imagine fitting Bath and Stonehenge into the same day.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which tour should we take?

Yes, Bath is a city and Windsor is a large town with a huge castle. Stratford is much further away. Any one of these would be a full day, but a good one.

I like Oxford a lot.

The Cotswolds is a region. You can't possibly see it in a day.

My friend from the US was terribly disappointed in Stonehenge. It looks very small by American standards and it's only the stones.They are not carved or anything, and nobody knows what the purpose of it was. It's a long way to go for what you get.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which tour should we take?

Before booking any of these trips i would think about asking the tour company about the amount of time you will get at each destination - personally I would think any of the destinations could be a delight, but I would say that two in one day is more than enough.

The trouble with coach tours is they can get snarled up in traffic so easily and a prone to being delayed by tardy timekeeping of other passengers.

Why not pick a couple of those destinations and go by train - you get to see much more of the countryside too and less of the motorways - and the journey bit should be quicker.

I understand if you prefer a bus tour, and perhaps if they have a very early start and don't spend loads of time stopping off at the usual roadside shopping centres under the guise of a 'rest stop' then you'll get good value out of such a trip.

All those places have something to offer!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which tour should we take?

verity,

You have just proved in your reply why people need to combine Stonehenge with other attractions during the day. It is along way to go from London just for this one site whether an individual is over or underwhelmed by the monument (although, the stones are carved as a matter of fact and some of them brought from great distances away).

jawa,

Leeds, castle to some, conference centre to others. You may not get your castle fix by a visit to the one at Leeds in Kent but you will certainly get your richly furnished stately home fix and the whole layout is very beautiful but don't expect dungeons, torchure chambers and towers.

9. Re: Which tour should we take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 21:17