We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

I'm flying into Heathrow from Las Vegas and want to travel to Scotland by train, Ive spotted the London Euston trains to Glasgow with Virgin, is there any other trains that travel to Scotland? Ive got large cases so the budget airlines are not an option, thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

Have you already booked? You could very easily interline onto a BA flight and the 50lb allowance would apply.

Other rail operators include East Coast from Kings Cross, for Edinburgh and the north of Scotland; and Scotrail from Euston for the sleeper service.

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

Yes im booked, im also on a flight to dublin after landing at heathrow, was planning on missing that and trying to get to glasgow another way. (booked via dublin for cheaper flights). Cheers for the info, looks like im cheaper with the virgin trains/sleeper. My flight is in at 3PM to Heathrow.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,282 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

<<Yes im booked, im also on a flight to dublin after landing at heathrow, was planning on missing that >>

Assuming you have a return (round trip) ticket back to the US, If you "miss" the flight to Dublin (i.e. you are a no-show), all remaining legs of your ticket including the flight back to the US will be cancelled.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

<<Yes im booked, im also on a flight to dublin after landing at heathrow, was planning on missing that >>

If that means you've booked a ticket to Dublin, but are planning on getting off at Heathrow, you won't be able to do that. As well as having your ticket canceled as a no show and losing ALL remaining flights, your bags will be checked all the way to DUB, and you won't be able to collect them at LHR. That's another way the airlines clamp down on "hidden city ticketing" (buying a cheaper ticket to an onward destination and then getting off at an intermediate airport), and if you ask for your bags to be "short checked" they'll insist you make good on the fare before letting you board. And that ticket repricing would be based on the walk up fare to LHR, not the discounted fare you could have booked earlier.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 23:26
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

This is the return part of my journey, DUB>LON>VEG then VEG>LON, im looking at missing the DUB part on the return and get to Glasgow.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,383 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

As USBT said, your bags will be checked through to Dublin!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

VEG -> Maikwak airport in Guyana; I suspect you are flying from and to LAS, Las Vegas.

As USBT said, ask for bags to be short checked at your own risk.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

and expect to be questioned as to why you aren't flying your booked route, I woudn't advise it.

9. Re: London Heathrow to Scotland using Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 06:15