We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carrying laptop

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
812 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
carrying laptop

i will be visiting london, paris and edinburgh and would be taking my laptop along. how safe is it leave it in the hotel room? will it be alright if i lock it in my suitcase?

i would be staying in buget hotels and B & B in most of these places ( 2 & 3 star). if the hotels provide a safe deposit box can i keep it in there? i definitely cannot carry it along with me.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carrying laptop

I've taken my laptop to London and Edinburgh without problems. The first time in London, I stayed in a hostel and I can't remember is I had the laptop in my backpack under the bed, or if it was in my suitcase in the luggage storage room, but I definately didn't take it touring with me, and my room didn't have individual lockers. The second time in London I stayed in a cheap hotel and it was in my bag in the room, no problem.

In Edinburgh, I stayed at a B&B, again, just in a bag in my room.

I can't afford places with safes in the UK. But I keep it hidden, and don't use an obvious laptop case.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carrying laptop

By the way, I've had mine with me because I've always been on stop-overs from business trips. But I never use the laptop in the UK. If it's just a vacation for you, I would just leave it at home.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carrying laptop

I'm planning on taking my laptop on my next trip (November) to London. I want to be able to download my digital pictures nightly and keep up with my blog. If I wait until I get home, I feel like I lose a great deal of the excitement and spontaneity of the trip. My laptop is small (and light) enough that it will probably go with me while I'm out sightseeing. If it gets too heavy, I'll make my husband carry it! (LOL) But I'm hoping for enough free wi-fi hotspots to be able to send messages "on the fly" while I'm out and about.

But to each his own. That's just what I've decided to do. Both our hotels (Dublin and London) have safes in the room, so I may change my mind once we arrive.

But I do like feeling that I'll be able to keep my friends/family updated on what we're doing and seeing.

SoundDiva

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carrying laptop

If you gotta take it and are concerned about security then add a Kensington Lock. Usually something you can loop it around (maybe the bedframe and slide it under the bed? Don't forget it though later! ;-)

http://us.kensington.com/html/1434.html

These were mandatory in my last company (even in the office!)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carrying laptop

sound-diva, you're more likely to come across internet cafes than free wi-fi hotspots. They'll probably allow you to download your pics to a USB memory key, which is much easier to carry.

Don't get too cocky about uploading them to your laptop. My laptop hard drive imploded on my last trip, losing all my pictures.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carrying laptop

Yes - internet cafes exist in the UK.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carrying laptop

Amberm1:

Both hotels in Dublin and London have free internet access, either broadband or wi-fi. So, at the very least, I should be able to download pictures each night. As far as the hard drive imploding, I have two 1GB memory sticks, so the pictures will stay in the camera memory sticks no matter what.

Can't cover every eventuality, but still excited about having my "little starship" (hubby's term) with me.

I like to look at the glass as always being half full ...... I'm s uch an optimist. LOL

Your concern is appreciated.

SoundDiva

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
176 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carrying laptop

I had my laptop in London, Bascombe, Bath and a 2nd hotel in London. Most of the time it was sitting on the desk in my room. No problem. The safe was generally too small to use!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: carrying laptop

From personal experience of our own we had a lap top with us and most of the time it was locked in our suitcase in our room. Some times it was in our room safe. We had great fun because we had movies saved on it for the nights when there was nothing else to do. As well as we downloaded the camera pictures from the current day onto the laptop to free up the camera.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: carrying laptop

I would highly recommend a cable type lock that you can loop around something fixed, and just to make it harder to find, stick it under the bed (out of plain sight that is) as well. I do that as a habit no matter where I travel.