We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airline?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which airline?

My family and I will be traveling to London for 10 days in December. We are doing research to figure out what airline to book our flight with. Right now, it looks like it is between British Airlines and Virgin Atlantic. They both have Premium Economy (although Virgin's is a lot more expensive) which is what we would like to use. We are concerned about our comfort but we also don't want to spend a fortune. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

uk
Level Contributor
257 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airline?

I have used both airlines although only in economy .We really liked Virgin they seem to go that extra mile with service .They give everyone a pack with tootbrushes etc even as i say in cattle class good with children too.

Ba are still a good Airline and we were lucky enough to get upgraded home from new york to business class well what can i say fab fab

hope this helps, you will have a fab time in london it will be cold but being from Washington it really wont shock you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airline?

Opinions? We've got plenty, esp on airlines.

First of all, you can read a number of opinions on both airlines at www.airlinequality.com - click on the tab at the top of the page for reviews both good and bad. You can also get the scoop on airports, too, although there haven't been any reviews of BLI - yet.

You can read reviews of airline seats at www.seatguru.com or www.seatexpert.com.

I've been flying with BA for over 25 years, and it's definitely my airline of choice. I prefer flying WT+, and find it worth the extra cash. The extra seven inches of pitch make a nine and a half hour flight bearable, and I quite like the intimate feel of the separate cabin. Seating is 2-4-2 rather than 3-4-3, so while the seats aren't that much wider, there is a bit more wriggle room. The armrests do not move in the WT+ cabin, as that's where the controls for the IFE are located.

If you do choose BA, you may want to open an Executive Club account, and if you think you'll travel overseas again within the next few years, open a household account. The miles start to add up quickly, and you'll get 1.25 BA miles per mile flown in WT+ (only 0.25 BA mile for flying WT) - with just 25,000 miles you can upgr**e to Club World with a WT+ fare. See the Executive Club Terms and Conditions for more info.

Having said all this, VS is a perfectly fine airline - the Bearded One has put a lot of thought into making the trips comfortable as well as safe, and a lot of people are very keen on Virgin. I think the VS Flying Club offers a lot of similar benefits to the Executive Club, if that's the way you choose to go.

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airline?

I've flown both within the past 5 years and I am probably going to stick to BA I found service levels pretty comparable in both airlines, but BA lands at terminal 4 at Heathrow and all I have to do is go down in an elevator to get to the train platform. Virgin lands at a different terminal and I had to take a bus ride to get to the trains -- a lot of trouble when you are suffering from jet lag.

That's just my personal take on the matter. Decide what is the most important issue to you and fly accordingly.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airline?

The Premium economy seats on Virgin are closer to what a domestic first class seat is in america. Bigger, wider seat with lots of leg room and even a foot rest while reclining. If your flight is on a 747 you can get seats on the upper deck that are quiet and comfy, with the illusion the plane is only carrying about 20 people. I personally love Virgin's premium economy for the seat width. It's more expensive than other premium economy but the service and seats are nicer.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airline?

Killdog: Why not drive, train or bus down to Seattle and get the BA nonstop flight to London? Virgin doesn't fly out of Seattle or Vancouver so you'd have to take two flights to get to London.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airline?

I would fly Virgin over BA for the same class, however if you can afford to upgrade to Premium economy on BA but not Virgin I would go for BA.

7. Re: Which airline?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 04:16