We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday crime

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday crime

20 essential tips from the Telegraph Travel pages on the current scams facing travellers abroad:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml;jsessionid=5X2DGHKRDELPJQFIQMGCFFOAVCBQUIV0?xml=/travel/2006/08/05/etscams05.xml

London / Brisbane
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday crime

i am hoping most people out there agree that a lot of this is common sense

i know things can be different though when travelling eg so excited that you can't fully concentrate

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday crime

Most of it is common sense, but quite a bit of it is a revelation to me.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday crime

I wonder if this is a really old story, or if the writer was a really bad researcher.

In the section about currencies, it warns you that in Turkey, the notes have so many zeros that it's easy to get your change in a bill with 1 or 2 zeros missing, meaning you've only gotten 1-10% of what you should get. The currency was changed in Jan 2005 and 6 zeros were removed. So it's been 20 months since this scam was likely to happen.

It makes me wonder what else is BS in this story, or if it's all just made up to scare people.

But do use common sense, keep your valuables out of reach of pickpockets, and don't accept drinks from strangers.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday crime

Anyone who peruses the Italy ( and probably Spain) forums will know that these 'scams' do happen, mostly to the hapless; though none of us is ever immune.

I posted the link a couple of days ago in the Florence forum :)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday crime

Sadly its only a few weeks since Jetsetter of these pages had cash and a throwaway camera lifted from her bag on a visit over here!

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday crime

wow...cheers for posting. Only the other day on the Jamacian board there was a post from a British policeman, who bascially had money lifted whilst his bag went through the x-ray machine, when he asked the "authorities" to look into he was then threatened by security and the undercover cop's to basically get on the plane home and not make a fuss or see what would happen. After reading his post I thought, blimey, then loads of other people came back to say they never go throught together. Some go ahead and make sure they keep an eye on the next parties coming through and their belongings etc.

I think these scams should be made aware to all, then hopefully those in uniforms or otherwise won't pull the same tricks on the victims, theres more to it other then just general common sense....scams are scams... at least we can "try" to safeguard against it to a certain extent if we know.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday crime

Glad you didn't think it was BS - I think the whole article was intended to help not scare - I am very fond of the Telegraph Travel section, and perhaps the Turkish money item being out of date was a mere blip!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday crime

purple: Thanks for posting. I've read about most of these scams before but it's always good to be reminded about them from time to time, especially just before a trip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday crime

I didn't mean to imply that all the scams in this article are BS, it's just frustrating when something I know is not true, it brings the whole article into question.

When my parents were in Paris, they were used as a distraction by a pickpocket gang. They are both big people, and someone in a subway station started screaming at them about how fat they are. As people crowded around, staring at the scene being created, a group of thugs walked through the crowd emptying people's pockets. My parents could see it happening as they were in the middle of the circle watching the crowd, but everyone else was watching them and didn't notice what was really going on.

So if something's going on and a crowd is forming, keep walking!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday crime

The credit card clone rings vey true for me. Whilst in Malaysia a couple of years ago I used a particular card only once and that was to pay our non-accomodation bill at our hotel, for the drinks, meals etc we had charged to our room. By the time we arrived home about 14 hours after checking out of the hotel our bank was urgently trying to contact us as huge amounts had been charged to the card and were still attempting to go through. Fortunately I had contacted them before to advise our dates of travel & they knew we would not be in Malaysia from that date on and we were not liable.

Scary thing is that the Hotel was part of a huge seemingly reputable chain, but obviously with at least one untrustworthy staff member. Advised the hotel & its head office of the problem but they denied any possible involvement and just kept insisting that I must have used the card elsewhere whilst in Malaysia. Which I had not.