We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

No airport food is good and cheap. Some is neither.

My family of 6 (grandma / wife and I / 3 teen kids) flies into heathrow at about noon and we will probably be ready for a meal.

Should we take a car service to islington and be hungry when I get there or have the car service stop somewhere or just eat at the airport?

Just sandwiches is fine but I'd rather pay the car service to stop and get good sandwiches than have bad and expensive airport food.

Does heathrow have good (not expecting great) food?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

Which terminal? There is quite a big range of food at Heathrow.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,664 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

Which terminal? And won't you have been feed a couple of hours previously on the flight

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

Like most airports there is very little landside worth eating at. Pack a few snacks in your carry on if you aren't satisfied with what you get on the plane, or you think you can't wait till you get to your accomm esp as there are tons of good places in Islington to eat.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

Not sure which terminal - flying from the US on United.

So sounds like there is something worth eating in at least one terminal. Is it possible / worthwhile to go to a different terminal once we are through customs? I can just see us in a pub eating our plough mans lunch perched on our suitcases.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

Is poster no 4 the same as the OP?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

If it were me, I'd wait until getting to Islington. Like #2 says, you'll be fed on the plane - probably twice - so shouldn't be starving.

There are places in the airport to buy pre-made sandwiches, like Marks & Spencer or Pret a Manger (depending on which terminal), but trying to get in and out of any of those, finding somewhere to sit, watching your cases etc. etc. just sounds like no fun. Get to you accommodation, leave your cases, freshen up - then head out for some proper food.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

"Is it possible / worthwhile to go to a different terminal once we are through customs? "

Not really. Most decent eating places are airside (and mostly located for the convenience of departing passengers) , and some terminals are miles away from each other

Only you know which terminal you're arriving at. If you can't be bothered finding out ("United" tells us nothing, since they start moving terminals in a couple of weeks), no-one here can give you any useful information

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

You'll be fed just before you land. Not great, but it should be enough to get you to your hotel and much better food choices when you get there.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

Having been fed just before you land, why waste time hanging around the airport and/or stopping en-route. Get to Islington, dump the luggage then go out and eat. You won't die of starvation in an hour or two for heavens sake

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow food - terrible / okay / good? (Overpriced given)

Good. Your replies give me the info I need to do what I wanted to do - get to our apartment in islington

I'll pack extra snacks and by-pass the pret a manges to get some proper food when we get there.

Yes I am showing up as multiple people as my phone has a mind of its own as I am out running errands but dreaming of Europe. Thanks again - didn't think I would be missing any fabulous dining opportunities at heathrow but it is good to check.