We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weston Street, Southwark

Kapiti
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Weston Street, Southwark

We are looking at renting a holiday apartment in January in this area. The apartment is in Burwash House. How easy is this area to travel around London please. Also, what is around in terms of supermarkets, reasonably priced restaurants. And given that it will get dark earlier being winter, is this area safe to walk to at night from London Bridge station?

Tower Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Observation Decks & Towers
Millennium Bridge
Scenic Walking Areas, Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,025 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weston Street, Southwark

Can you post a link to the apartment you're considering please?

Kapiti
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weston Street, Southwark

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1083035

Upon doing some research it looks like it is in Kipling Estate, Weston Street, Southwark

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weston Street, Southwark

Burwash House is a 20 storey tower block - with many of the flats being local authority (council) homes and some privately owned. From the outside it's not very attractive BUT... I used to live next door in Simla House (identicle building right next to it) - and I wish i still lived there (I decided to buy a flat in a cheaper area otherwise I would still be living there)

Although a mixture of council and private tenants the buildings are well maintained and i never felt unsafe. You get great views from the higher floors with lots of light.

You are 5 minutes away from London Bridge station for easy access to anywhere else in London - it is very close to Bermondsey Street where there are lots of bars and restaurants. There is a Tesco metro in Sainsbury Local in Bermondsey square which is a short walk away. I'd recommend Cafe Nawaz for good inexpensive indian food on Snowfields near Guys Hospital. Almost directly opposite you have the leather exchange pub for a nice drinks and also the Rose on Weston Street.

Because it is on a council estate you always run the risk of anti-social behavoir (actually that sounds snobby.... it could happen anywhere regardless of council estate or not!) - but as in any big city just be sensible and don't flash your valuables. In the 3 years i lived there I never had any issues.

If the exterior of the building doesn't put you off (you can google images) I would have no hesitation staying there (and the reviews on the link you posted are good)

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weston Street, Southwark

A couple of opinions from a few years back: www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/115528

5. Re: Weston Street, Southwark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 06:15