We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London or Paris first in December?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
620 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
London or Paris first in December?

Hi, I'm planning a two week trip in early Dec with my family (2adults and 3 children aged 13, 11 and 6) and plan to do a week each in London and Paris (using the Eurostar).

Just wondering if there is a preference for doing one of these cities first?( eng avoiding national holidays, weather, peak hotel seasons , airport issues etc) or is it all the same?

It will be the first trip for all of us.

I'm am also looking at staying at eithe Ascott Mayfair or Citadines Trafalgar Square. Which of these locations are better for transport, eating, sights and shopping?

Thank you!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
965 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London or Paris first in December?

When I do multi-city trips I usually pick the first city based on the cost of the plane ticket. If it is cheaper to fly into London and out of Paris I would choose that option. This leaves me more money to upgrade the hotel or restaurants.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London or Paris first in December?

Unless there's specific things you want to see on specific days I would choose the option that ends up costing the least. You may find that airfares and hotels may be priced differently depending on which order you do things.

Level Contributor
3,335 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London or Paris first in December?

The Citadines Trafalgar Square is one of the best tourist locations in all of London, in my opinion.

Slapbang in the middle of everything, as far as that's possible in London.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London or Paris first in December?

I would make sure I am not in London on 25th December. Every year furious tourists complain on here about our one day off per year. If wandering round a quiet city when nearly everything is closed does not appeal, spend that day in Paris.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
620 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London or Paris first in December?

Thanks, I will check out the flights and hotel costs! Are the museums etc indoor activities open at night? I realize the daylight hours are short so if we could do the museums etc at night /after sunset it would be good.

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London or Paris first in December?

Personally I would stay in Trafalgar Square as it is more buzzy and better transport links to many places. Mayfair is closer to Hyde park where the winter wonderland will be happening. Many museums close at around 6pm or 7pm but you can buy tickets to shows or eat out in the evenings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London or Paris first in December?

Most museums have one "late" evening per week where they are open until sometime between 7 and 10. Other evenings they close at 5 or 6. The day differs between different museums.

I agree that London on 25-26 December is best avoided for tourists intent on seeing the normal sites (historic locations, museums and galleries) as many are closed on these dates. There is also generally no train service on 25-26 December, so day trips outside of London are only possible by organised tour or coach. It sounds like most things in Paris are closed on the 25th but open again on the 26th.

Trafalgar Square is a great location. The only downside is that most of the restaurants in the immediate area are squarely aimed at tourists (overpriced and below-average quality) and there are few decent sized supermarkets (in case you're planning on self-catering using the Citadines kitchenette).

8. Re: London or Paris first in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 06:17