We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Trains

Monterey, California
13 posts
Save Topic
Changing Trains

I am traveling with a family of 4 from London Euston to Liverpool Lime street via Virgin Trains. I can save $50 or so if I choose 1 change vs. 0 changes. The change would be at Crew Station to London Midland Train Co. Does anyone know how difficult this change would be? Thanks!

Level Contributor
3,402 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Changing Trains

Lets not pretend that the railway network is accurate to the minute, eh

----

Nor start a pointless melodrama to scare an OP. OP dont worry, the stats show this is just scaremongering, British trains are pretty punctual by international standards, and getting better. Unfortunately whingers never bother to be happy about trains that run on time, they'd just rather moan about the few that aren't

nantwich
Level Contributor
631 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Changing Trains

'Pointless melodrama'? 'Scaring the OP'?

Wow. Just... wow.

Again... I use the railways a lot. I get delayed sometimes. That is my experience, your experience may differ, my point is that the OP had a small window of opportunity to catch the second train which COULD have resulted in travel difficulties (and possibly expensive ones if they were tickets bought specifically for one particular train). For the sake of twenty-something quid, the OP now has a smoother journey.

I thought the whole point of these forums is to point out any potential problems that our visitors might run into? And do whatever he can to help them avoid them?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Changing Trains

So do I for your information.

>>(and possibly expensive ones if they were tickets bought specifically for one particular train)<<

Expensive? If you miss a booked train due to a delay on a previous train journey you may catch the next available train. It's not like the trains on that route are that infrequent.

>>I thought the whole point of these forums is to point out any potential problems that our visitors might run into? And do whatever he can to help them avoid them?<<

It's not to give posters pointless worry by listing every single thing that could possibly go wrong. It's not like this is some 3rd world country where you're lucky if the train turns up at all.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Changing Trains

Some people seem to have misunderstood the OP.

S/he isn't asking about getting a London Midland service all the way from London to Liverpool. They will be getting a Virgin Trains service from Euston to Crewe (usually a Manchester or Chester service) and change there for a London Midland service to Liverpool Lime Street.

I have done this many times (and will be doing it again next week) but mainly because I can get the London Midland service from Crewe to Liverpool South Parkway which is down the road from my house.

P.S. to add to the debate, when I was travelling back from Bath to Liverpool last month I missed my connection at Crewe due to the train I caught from Newport being delayed by 20 mins. I would normally do that journey via Birmingham but there were engineering works, which didn't actually cause my train from Newport to Crewe to be delayed. No explanation was given for that! ;-)

Edited: 05 May 2014, 13:01
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Changing Trains

'Pointless melodrama'? 'Scaring the OP'?

Wow. Just... wow.

Again... I use the railways a lot. I get delayed sometimes. That is my experience, your experience may differ

---

You stated "UK trains are constantly subject to delays" which is scaremongering, and factually incorrect. Average punctuality is about 90% in Britain, that is NOT constantly subject to delays. Its melodramatic scaremongering, as well as being factually nonsense. A small minority of trains are delayed in the UK, the same as in any country

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Changing Trains

I've just spent 6 days on a Rover ticket, travelling on many trains, and none of them were late. I even made one that only had an 8 minute connection time. I have to admit to being very impressed with punctuality, cleanliness and civility - far better than I'd been expecting! That said (and I know OP's already opted for.the wise decision) I wouldn't risk a tight connection, or bother changing at all, when for a few bucks I could just stay put...

OP- Hope you enjoy!!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Changing Trains

Anyway - missing a connection is not the end of the world. You just wait for the next train. Other than in rural areas it's not usually very long to wait.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Changing Trains

But I missed a coonection at Birmingham New Street once - the connection was the last train of the day to Liverpool.

Luckily my ticket was stamped and I got the last train of the day to Manchester. Thank goodness I had an understanding relative who drove from Liverpool to pick me up from Manchester Picadilly at 1am.

It would have beed interesting to see if one of the train companies had offered to pay for a taxi for me to get back home! I doubt it because the original delay that caused me to miss my connection at Birmingham was caused by a cancelled London Midland train I was due to catch from Northampton.

As for 90% of trains arriving on time - that 90% can include trains that are up to 5 minutes late. Now, considering that most of the Northern Rail operated train services I catch in Liverpool are often delayed by 5 mins, that's a lot of waiting around at stations or being stuck on a train stopped at signals that I've experienced! ;-)

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Changing Trains

It is the train companies' obligation to get you to the destination on your ticket. If that means paying for a taxi, then that's what they have to to

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
754 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Changing Trains

If you are traveling London Midland to Liverpool then you best bet is to change at Stafford. You will save a lot of time as from Stafford the train from London goes to Crewe via Stoke on Trent. A reasonably fast train to Stafford turns into a very slow one from then on as it stops at every station. There is a train every 30 minutes from Stafford to Liverpool.

Changing trains at Crewe is straight forward and in the direction traveled does not involve the use is footbridges etc. Just a case of trundling luggage round to the right platform. Done it many times.