We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera - Digital or roll?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Camera - Digital or roll?

So I have a very flat hideable digital camera and a roll camera. What have you all found to be more useful overseas?

Thanks,

Chris

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera - Digital or roll?

Digital is fine if it's small and pocketable and that's what you want.

I think it is suprassed by roll for end print quality. Especially in low light conditions.

I did a big trip and all I had was a 3 MP Fuji. Got some super shots though I say so myself.

Sometimes hard to get a picture if there's lots of movement because of the lag between hitting the button and the shot being taken.

The main bonus with the digi is you can snap away and know you can review and delete or just go to a store and dump them to disc.

Maybe consider getting a decent sized memory card if you only have a small one and check your battery options aswell.

I specifically choose a camera that would take duracells aswell as the rechargeables in case of need.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera - Digital or roll?

I much prefer digital, especially for travel, for several reasons.

• No special treatment needed to avoid exposing film rolls when going through airport security.

• No film rolls to lose or damage (we've done both, and it's a real heartbreaker).

• You can take as many pictures as your memory card will allow, and just keep the best ones. No more wasting money on blurry shots.

• You can upload your photos to an online site and share them with friends, or use them as a screensaver.

• If you decide a year or two from now that you'd like a reprint of a photo from your trip, it's easier to find in your digital album (or online site) than digging through your film negatives.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera - Digital or roll?

Chris: I've got to go with the digital, too. It really helps to get a little preview of the photo once you take it.

But if both cameras are small, why not take both?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera - Digital or roll?

By all means digital. Hope this is related to London. If not don't pass up those great side streets with nooks and crannies for wonderful pictures of historic London.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera - Digital or roll?

After all these years, I am still in lurve with my 35mm film camera.....

Why? Because I can adjust the depth of field, push or pull the film, and get exceptional depth of colours by using professional quality products. The quality of the print stays high even if I get a picture enlarged.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Camera - Digital or roll?

"Print is Dead" .. Dr Spengler in Ghostbusters

Just kidding, but that quote came to mind. Print still has it's place - but digital is so much easier on vacation. I like the small flat 5MP Canon Powershot. You can upload your photos to a laptop, print out the photos, or put them on a photo website, so easy. I also like taking a lot of pictures without having lugging around lots of film rolls. I could also email photos back home to family - fun!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camera - Digital or roll?

Travel ~> Blah Blah Blah. I love them too the quality that you can produce from a SLR camera is so good. But they're a bugger to carry around.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camera - Digital or roll?

Digital SLR, apart from the small suitcase needed to carry all of the lenses, special effect filters etc...

How was your trip to London onward, did you go anywhere else while you were in the area?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Camera - Digital or roll?

At the risk of invoking the Axemeister, here is the link to Onward's London Report, Shaker:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k72931…

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Camera - Digital or roll?

I was like TP,that is , until I got a digital camera and now that I know I don't have to pay to develop a dozen rolls of film to get a few pictures that I love I can't be stopped from clicking everywhere and at everything and I am actually becoming a better picture taker with the digi.