We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Dining Rooms view

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PNW, US
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Topic
National Dining Rooms view

How does the view at the National Dining Rooms, located in the National Gallery, compare with the view atop the National Portrait Gallery?

I've booked the latter for afternoon tea on our arrival day, just before we set off on a walk across the parks in attemp to chase away jet lag.

The problem is, the reviews for AT at the Portrait cafe are pretty awful. I love the view, and thought it might be worth a try, but the NDR have *some* better reviews, and apparently a view overlooking Trafalgar Square.

I should also add, we chose muesem cafés as an option because we'd like to try AT, but don't need all the fuss. Also, we're staying just a few minutes walk away. Our expectations aren't too high, just thought it made sense for arrival day.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Dining Rooms view

From memory the NDR view is entirely Trafalgar Square, although I'm not sure whether all tables have that view as it is a biggish room.

The NPG is a smaller room, longer and thinner, and the view is from higher up so ( I think) the view is of the square and beyond to Big Ben. Again not all tables will have identical views.

2. Re: National Dining Rooms view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 10:36
PNW, US
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: National Dining Rooms view

Thank you, Brittraveller. Your description is helpful. Think I'll just keep the booking at the Portrait restaurant, brave the questionable tea and savor the view.

4. Re: National Dining Rooms view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 06:17