We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

We will be "groundlings" - standing for a show of Anthony & Cleopatra in 2 weeks.

Can we bring in some food locally which is easy to handle? How early to arrive to get a spot near the stage?

Our show is a Sun night June 1st.

Thanks!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,966 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

The FAQ section doesn't specify re: food for The Globe (it does for the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse):

shakespearesglobe.com/your-visit/frequently-…

"Is food and drink allowed in the theatre?

Glass is not permitted in the Globe Theatre. Items should not be placed on the stage.

Drinks may be taken into the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse however glasses and glass bottles are not permitted in the auditorium. Food must not be taken into the auditorium."

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

And pelting the actors with rotten fruit and veg is definitely discouraged, unlike in Shakespeare's day.

California
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

I can't imagine that it would be appropriate to stand there eating during the performance. Can't you eat before or afterwards?

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

I have arrived quite close to the start of the performance and managed to get very close to the stage. As Jim Hacker would have put it, elbows are the most important weapon in your armoury. I think that it also helped that we had terrible weather that day, so I don't suppose many people wanted to be waiting around for ages anyway. Also, that was near to the stage, but over to the side. Some people would rather be central. Actually, though, I don't think that it really matters all the much where you stand. I know that my partner prefers at the Globe to be somewhere right on the perimeter, I think because there is usually a convenient beam to lounge against. As for taking in food and drink, I think that obviously you will want to perhaps have something to keep you hydrated, especially if it's hot, and that is understandable, but I'm not sure why you would need to take food in. I mean, if you go to a play at the National Theatre just a little stretch down the river, you don't take in your sandwiches to eat during the performance. If it's a long one and you are worried about collapsing with exhaustion I don't suppose anyone will mind if you tuck into the Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles. Do it during a noisy scene with clashing swords or something, rather than a hushed soliloquy.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

It doesn't really make much difference how early you arrive, as no one gets let in until around 15 minutes before the play starts, by which time most people are there anyway. As for food and drink, I've taken some and eat it during the interval, which lasts aprox. 10-15 minutes. They do sell food at these times so other people will be eating as well.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

Surely you don't need to eat that frequently? / Some food before you go in, maybe some sweets and/or a drink if its really hot. and you should survive without losing more than a stone or two

7. Re: Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 17:35
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

"It was certainly "appropriate" in Shakespeare's time. I can't think of any reason why anything's changed. "

Lots of things have changed since Shakespeare's time however it appears that you can still take food in.

"Theatregoers can bring in their own food and drink to the auditorium so long as they do not bring in any glass."

officialtheatre.com/shakespeares-globe/…

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

I assume that that last post refers to #7 which was deleted. I am curious to know what was in it that led to the deletion, as that point alone is perfectly valid, even if one wants to disagree with it. In general, I agree, authenticity only goes so far. I don't think anyone wants prostitutes soliciting on Bankside these days, for example.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Globe Theater: Bringing food in? Timing?

It was a post along the lines of "How dare an American come on here and tell us what to do", which personally I thought was a bit much tbh.