We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel at night

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shepparton
Level Contributor
126 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travel at night

Just a general question about personal safety. This is my first trip to London and I will travelling alone.

I only have one trip planned for night as I am staying with an elderly relative. The night trip is to the East of London Family history Society meeting. I will be traveling from Wanstead station to Harpenden after the meeting finishes at 10PM. Should I be concerned usung public transport at night. I am a 51 year old man and have worked in prisons all my life so I do get a bit over cautious about personal safety.

thx

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel at night

In London, 10pm is not late at night. Many people are just going out. You will be surprised how busy it is. 10pm will be as safe as at any other time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel at night

With the last train from London St Pancras to Harpenden leaving at 2348 and a departure from Wanstead you may want to speed the journey from Wanstead in order to catch the last train. You may change at Stratford for the High Speed service to St Pancras, taking just seven minutes from station to station. The walk from the Underground platforms at Stratford to Stratford International will take another five minutes as well but it will be faster overall than taking the Underground to Liverpool Street and changing there to the Circle, Hammersmith & City or Metropolitan line train to King's Cross. Travelcards do not include the HS journey from Stratford, with the single fare an additional £5.90.

Alternately, change at Stratford for the Overground to West Hampstead for the train to Harpenden. This journey will be included in a Travelcard or PAYG on Oyster, but you'll need to check train times to ensure you can catch the train from West Hampstead to Harpenden.

You will certainly not be the only person on the Underground or Overground trains at that hour, as joe said.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel at night

Wanstead is a fairly middle class area and there are plenty of cafes near the station to keep the area busy until well after 10. The train may be a little quiet as people who are going into London for the evening will already be there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel at night

Wanstead is lovely and extremely safe. I have waited on my own (as a 30-something woman) at bus stops near the station at 10pm and later and had no problems.

TP is right that you may be cutting it fine for last train times. I don't recommend changing at Stratford to the high speed train unless you've scoped it out in advance because the signage is terrible. Station staff will probably direct you to take the DLR between stations which is straightforward enough, but the train seems to take a very roundabout route and is infrequent (10-12 minute waits are not infrequent -- by which point you could have walked it but only if you know where you're going).

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,511 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel at night

Don't panic about the trains to Harpenden, as there are later trains than 23.48 (in fact they run hourly through the night).

On both the Underground and the First Capital Connect services, stations and trains are festooned with CCTV, stations also have Help Points and on the train you can communicate with the driver in an emergency. Not that I think you will need to.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel at night

And also, the EoLFHS usually meet in Wanstead Library, which is a 5 min walk from Wanstead underground past the bus terminus. Plenty of people around. Wanstead is a pleasant and safe suburb; you'll be safer than in Harpenden.

If you get there early, go to Snaresbrook station and walk along the High Street past Christ Church and the park. An interesting place.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 12:01
Shepparton
Level Contributor
126 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel at night

Thx to everyone for their info. First big trip and going on my own. There has been so much helpfull info to all my questions. What could go wrong.

hahahahahahahaha. everything!!

but at least I cant say I wasnt prepared. 11 days to go.

thx

8. Re: Travel at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:17