We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another travelcard question

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
another travelcard question

Sorry about this. I thought I had this figured out. We are a family of 6: two adults, one senior and three children ages 11, 8 and 6. We plan to use the 2 for 1 for the three adults and my 11 yr old. The museum rates for the younger kids are lower for most things so its more beneficial to have one adult and one 11 yr old free on the 241 than use each adult and get 3 kids free (make sense?)

To do this, I know we have to have paper travelcards. I know where to get them. Each adult will need one and my 11 yr old will need one. We're there for 8 days so I'm getting a 7d paper travelcard each. We'll have the photos with us.

My question concerns the 6 and 8 year old. We won't be using the 241 for them.... how do they travel while we're there? Are they free (I'm thinking they aren't)? Do they get an Oyster or can we get them a 7d travelcard for a lower cost (because we don't have to buy the Oyster card itself)?

In case it makes a difference, we're also making a few trips outside the city: Windsor, Watford and Hampton Court Palace... would the type of card the younger children have make a difference when purchasing the train tickets for these outings?

I'd love any advice you're able to provide. I'm trying to make this as easy for us as possible. :-)

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another travelcard question

The youngsters (6 and 8) can travel for free without a ticket in London on buses and the Underground (provided they are accompanied by a fare-paying adult). On buses, just make sure they are with you when you board the bus. On the Tube, use one of the wide gates and touch in/out your own Oyster on the yellow pad as you go through. On some gates you may need a Tube person to open the gate for you. Don't try to push a child through a normal narrow gate at the same time as yourself.

It won't make any difference for your out-of-town trips, for which they will need tickets.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another travelcard question

For the out-of town trips, Hampton Court is in Zone 6, Watford Junction in Zone 9 and Windsor beyond the outer boundary of the London fare zones. So the adults too will have extra to pay at least for the journey to Windsor and almost certainly for Watford also. If you only have Zone 1&2 Travelcards (which I understand are still available as 7-day tickets), Hampton Court will involve an supplementary charge as well. It's easiest to sort this out before you travel at the ticket offices of the National Rail stations in central London which serve each of these destinations - Euston for Watford, Waterloo or Paddington for Windsor, Waterloo for Hampton Court. You show the Travelcards and ask for extension tickets from boundary Zone 2 to the destination.

For children, the situation is confusing because Transport for London services are free but on National Rail services, even within the London fare zones area, for over-5s there's still a charge.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another travelcard question

Thank you both!

Let's see if I have this. For zones 1 and 2 (tube and bus), the adults and my 11yr old will have 7d travelcards. The younger children need nothing.

For our daytrips, arrive early enough at the station to get 'top ups' for the four with travelcards so we pay the difference to our final destination. The younger children will pay for the full ticket to the final destination.

I'm confused by one comment "On the Tube, use one of the wide gates and touch in/out your own Oyster on the yellow pad as you go through. " We won't have an Oyster. Do the travelcards touch in/out as well? If not, how do we go through the gates? Are all tube stations manned so that we can always use that entrance/exit instead with the younger children?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: another travelcard question

You feed the travelcard into a slot which opens the gate and spits it out again

Gates have to be left open if the station is unmanned

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another travelcard question

goukaseishi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/g… Paper tickets go in the slot on the front of the barrier. There is a schematic in situ as a reminder that the card should be inserted with the magnetic strip face down. The card will pop up from the small pyramid shaped point on top of the barrier, behind the Oyster touchpad. If you have your tickets ready the process should take less than 10 seconds.

ukstudentlife.com/Travel/Transport/London/Un… At least one wider barrier should be found at most central London stations; if memory serves all of the barriers at Heathrow terminals have been changed to this type as well.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another travelcard question

Thank you :-) The pictures really help.

Bexleyheath, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: another travelcard question

You should check the time restrictions on your cards as you may not be able to travel before 0930, which is peak time. So you might have to set off on your longer day trips a little later.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: another travelcard question

There are no time restrictions on 7 day cards

9. Re: another travelcard question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17