We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

Hello all!

I just read that the Duke of Cambridge is going to offer a dinner at Windsor Castle on Tuesday, May 13th. Do you know if it will be open for visitors that day? I just visited the website and there is no information about it. I would have to move my itinerary if it's not open that day and I would prefer not to do so.

Thanks in advance for your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,892 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

This is the link to closures. It doesn't appear to be closed on the 13th.

royalcollection.org.uk/visit/…plan-your-visit

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

@brittraveller31

I know, I saw that but I would prefer to be sure before going.

Does anyone know what has happened before in situations like this one?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

Does anyone know what has happened before in situations like this one?

=====

I'm sure there are many occasions when someone is having dinner in the evening and they dont close off the entire castle for the day on account of that.

I doubt the Queen is reading this and will reply, so if you aren't willing to trust their official website, then go a different day.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

There have been many dinners in the evening.

AFAIK, unless it is a State dinner, the Castle will not be close. State dinners are usually for foreign heads of State or other persons of great stature.

If the website says it is open, it is open. You may call or e-mail to be sure; they are usually very responsive.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,298 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

The Duke of Cambridge, President, The Royal Marsden Hospital, will host a dinner to celebrate the work of The Royal Marsden at Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1NJ.

so no, the castle won't be closed

dukeandduchessofcambridge.org/news-and-diary…

Edited: 10 May 2014, 10:28
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,892 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

I'm puzzled as to why you think that the website run by the people who manage the castle might be wrong. Those sort of dinners are very common and closing the castle for a day is very expensive so will only be done when absolutely essential.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

They have dinners at the castle all the time and don't close unless it is announced on the website. Most of the time these dinners start later in the evening. If you hang around long enough you might see some people dressed up heading into the castle.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

<<, I just visited the website and there is no information about it. >>.

Why would there be ? It is a routine event which will not affect the parts of the castle oipen to visitors so there is nothing for the website to say nor, indeed, is it of any relevance to you so why should they tell you ?

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

Thank you for the information.

I'm sorry but I don't see the need to be rude when responding. The reason why I doubted was because when I checked last night the last news in the "News" section was from February so the website didn't look very up to date to me. I have no idea if they close the castle when they have dinners or not, hence the reason to ask here for your experience/knowledge about this.

Of course I don't think they have to inform ME, but I feared they might close the castle for last minute events and not posting it on the website.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will Windsor Castle be open on Tuesday 13th?

Any closures would be listed under "Plan your visit" not news.

I also try to post upcoming closures in the Windsor forum. Sometimes they get pushed down the page by Legoland queries, but I do my best.