We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

York to Heathrow

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
York to Heathrow

In July,my husband and I will be traveling from Heathrow to Oxford by the Airline bus. One week later we will take the train from Oxford to York. Should we return to Heathrow from York the same way or is there a better way to do this?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: York to Heathrow

Are you asking if you should return to Heathrow from York on the same day as your departure? This I would not recommend.

A better idea would be to stay in Windsor or London the night before--both have easy access to Heathrow.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: York to Heathrow

Cross Country operate trains at 07 minutes past the hour from Oxford to York, with travel time of three and a half hours. Trains with a change at Birmingham New Street take just under four hours.

Rather than make the return journey to Heathrow via Oxford, though, book an East Coast train from York to London King's Cross and from that latter station take the Underground. It's straightforward, about two hours from York to KX then another hour to the airport, and a step free journey from start to finish.

Check train times and fares at www.nationalrail.co.uk but book directly with the train operating companies rather than at any third party website.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: York to Heathrow

What TravellerPlus says (East Coast to Kings Cross, then Piccadilly line to Heathrow). But, I'd agree with Laura that traveling down the day before your flight would be better in case there are problems with the train from York. I'd personally do York to London the day before and overnight in London at Kings Cross. That will give you a straight run to Heathrow the next morning on the Piccadilly line.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: York to Heathrow

No, sorry for the confusion. We'll be staying in York for one week before returning to Heathrow.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: York to Heathrow

From York, consider flying with BA from Leeds/Bradford Airport to Heathrow. Saves all the faffing around going via central London on the train and your luggage could be checked through to your final destination.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: York to Heathrow

"From York, consider flying with BA from Leeds/Bradford Airport to Heathrow. Saves all the faffing around going via central London on the train and your luggage could be checked through to your final destination."

Nope, not necessarily. In fact that could be very risky. If you book separate flight tickets you do NOT get luggage through checked to the final destination, only to the final destination of each ticket. Plus, with separate tickets, if the first flight is delayed or canceled and causes a missed flight (including check in, bag drop or security conformance) you risk having that second ticket canceled as a no show and having to buy a new (one way) ticket at the walk up fare. A one way walk up fare to the US would be eye wateringly expensive.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c207311/Newton…

Now, that said, if nanischicken's flight to the US is with BA or American (or US Airways) it may work as OneWorld airlines do treat separately ticketed flights as if they were on the sane ticket. But that's only if both the inbound (in this case from LBA and the onward flight are both on OneWorld carriers). Any other airlines and they won't get that protection and a delayed first flight could mean they're toast.

The risk if no showing for the flight is why I (and LauraRW) recommend heading down from York to London the prior evening.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 07:26
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: York to Heathrow

Read my post again USBusinessTraveller and you will see the words "consider" and "could". That means it's a possible not definite solution. Will luggage checked through? I don't know, which is why I said "could" and that's for the OP to find out. Through ticketing with protection, once again who knows.

I gave a credible alternative option and it's for the OP to determine what's best. Most locals would think it's daft to travel overland from the north of England, and stay overnight in London, when there are perfectly good regional airports from which to begin an international journey.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: York to Heathrow

Thank you,posters, for all your suggestions...It's so good to know that we have several options.

9. Re: York to Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 06:16