We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about travelcard zone extension

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
596 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Question about travelcard zone extension

Hello all!

I'm in the train to Winchester and I bought an extension from the boundary of zone 2 to Winchester. To enter the platform I had to touch in with my Oyster but what do I do when I arrive? I should exit with my travelcard (paper ticket) I think but what happen with my Oyster? Shouldn't I touch out?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Have a great weekend =)

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about travelcard zone extension

When you get to Winchester use the extension ticket - no Oyster machines there

Is your Oyster a travelcard? If so no problems - but there will be if it is PAYG

Edited: 10 May 2014, 09:21
Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
596 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about travelcard zone extension

@dzug1

My Oyster has a travelcard loaded as well as PAYG money.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about travelcard zone extension

If you have a Zones 1 - 2 travelcard loaded on to your Oyster Card then you don't have to do anything.

The system will not deduct any money from your Oyster account, nor will it give you an unresolved journey.

You cannot use Pay As You Go as part payment for your journey, because cannot touch out at the last station in Zone 2 (Clapham Junction) without getting off the train. If this applies to you then you will have an unresolved journey, and you are unlikely to get the maximum fare refunded.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about travelcard zone extension

So you have a (z1-2) travelcard on Oyster and an extension ticket from Boundary Zone 2 to Winchester?

If so, on the outbound you touch in within zones 1-2, then do nothing; your travelcard on Oyster and your extension ticket cover you.

On the return, you use your extension ticket to enter the platform at Winchrster. Then you do nothing until you reach the final station within z1-2 (say Waterloo, Clapham Junction, Vauxhall or Victoria) where you touch out with your Oyster.

The only possible fare check you'd get is an inspector on the train. In that case show him/her your extension ticket and Oyster card. They can scan the Oyster to verify you have the travelcard loaded to complete the entire journey.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about travelcard zone extension

Sarichile--When you return to London - touch your Oyster on a ticket machine (or take it to a booking office window) and select /ask for Journey History, just to be sure.

If there are debits shown for unauthorised entries/exits, go to the ticket office window and get them removed.

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
596 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about travelcard zone extension

Thank you for your replies. I will check my Oyster card when I'm in London and let you know how it went.

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
596 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about travelcard zone extension

All went perfectly.

I touched in with Oyster loaded with travelcard in Waterloo

Then I exited the train station at destination with paper extension ticket

To return, I entered the train station with paper extension ticket

Finally, I touched out with Oyster at Waterloo

I checked my Oyster card and no additional charges were made.

Thanks to all for your help!

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about travelcard zone extension

Glad it worked as it should; and you seem to have had a good day in Winchester!

9. Re: Question about travelcard zone extension

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:17