We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rail ascot to richmond, then tube for the day on travelcard?

west hartford, CT
Level Contributor
175 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
rail ascot to richmond, then tube for the day on travelcard?

I'm planning on spending the entire day tomorrow (Sunday) going to various tourist sites in London. I will have a ten year old with me. It appears to be cheaper to get a roundtrip Ascot to Richmond for the two of us, then switch to a one day travelcard for tube and busses, as opposed to taking rail to Waterloo, then buying a one day travelcard there. In addition, it looks like the tube from Richmond goes to the Hyde Park area, which is our first planned stop tomorrow.

First of all, is this reasonable? How long does it take to travel by tube to Hyde Park from Richmond?

I would like to do this because I feel that it gives us more flexibility, to go to the museums near Hyde Park first, then to other places in London, then back to Richmond and transfer to rail to Ascot, and that it would be cheaper. But when I try to add a travelcard onto my rail fare, it looks like it will add a card for my child, too, even though he is under 11 and would be free when traveling with me. Can I just get an oystercard or a travelcard made for me at Richmond? I did bring a passport photo. Can I just buy a one day travelcard for myself at Richmond tube station, and bring my son aboard trains and busses because he is under 11? Do I need something for my son to ride tube and busses with me, or do I just need to have my own travelcard or oystercard? We plan to travel to London for the next three days, Sun-Tues. Does it make sense to get a 7 day card? We can leave after peak AM commute - our only goal is to arrive at museums, which don't open until 10 AM anyway.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Richmond
Richmond
North Yorkshire, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
581 Reviews
London, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
17,251 Reviews
London, UK
Ascot
Ascot
Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rail ascot to richmond, then tube for the day on travelcard?

You have already been given advice from darrenmcc about buying a Railcard .

"Pragmatist - you can buy a ticket at Ascot which includes a travel card for unlimited travel in London. You *don't* need to get to the edge of Z6 before you can get this. Just ask at the ticket office for a One-Day Travelcard. Your son will need a child-fare ticket, however.

Note that if you will spend more than 4 days in London, a 7-day ticket is better value. You will need to supply a passport-size photo."

Edited: 10 May 2014, 23:39
Mentioned in this post
Ascot
Ascot
London
London
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rail ascot to richmond, then tube for the day on travelcard?

It appears to be cheaper to get a roundtrip Ascot to Richmond for the two of us, then switch to a one day travelcard for tube and busses, as opposed to taking rail to Waterloo, then buying a one day travelcard there.

-------

I'd be fairly confident it will be cheaper buying a day return including tube from Ascot,

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
North Yorkshire, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
581 Reviews
London, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: rail ascot to richmond, then tube for the day on travelcard?

You need a one day travelcard from Ascot for yourself - cheaper than rebooking at Richmond

Plus a day return child ticket Ascot to Richmond

Those tickets will be cheaper today (super off peak) than on Monday and Tuesday (offpeak)

You can then travel together on the tube and buses into and around London and return the same route. You can't travel from Richmond to Waterloo by train though

Mentioned in this post
Ascot
Ascot
Richmond
Richmond
North Yorkshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
west hartford, CT
Level Contributor
175 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rail ascot to richmond, then tube for the day on travelcard?

Sorry if I was not clearer in my question. Is is feasible to switch to tube at Richmond in order to travel to Hyde Park? I can buy a roundtrip from Ascot to Richmond and back, switch to the tube at Richmond, use the tube and busses to travel around London all day, then take the tube back to Richmond, and take train to Ascot. Is this feasible, or should I just take train into Waterloo, and get the tube there to Hyde Park and other destinations in London?

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
North Yorkshire, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
17,251 Reviews
London, UK
Ascot
Ascot
London
London
England, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
581 Reviews
London, UK
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rail ascot to richmond, then tube for the day on travelcard?

I would take the Train to Waterloo.

Ascot to Waterloo trains are fast limited stop.

District Line Trains from Richmond are slow and sometimes unreliable too.

There are also lots of walkable attractions from Waterloo, Westminster, The London Eye, nice views over the Bridges, ETC.

Edited: 11 May 2014, 07:56
Mentioned in this post
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
581 Reviews
London, UK
Ascot
Ascot
Richmond
Richmond
North Yorkshire, UK
Westminster
Westminster
4,307 Reviews
London, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rail ascot to richmond, then tube for the day on travelcard?

I can buy a roundtrip from Ascot to Richmond and back

------

Just how many times do you need to be advised to buy a return from Ascot to London including travelcard rather than two seperate tickets? Whether you change at Richmond is immaterial though if it was me I'd take the advice of the poster above and go to waterloo from where you can walk or tube. I did a whole days tourist stuff a coupe, weeks ago starting from Waterloo mostly walking. Big Ben, parliament, buck palace, st James park (IMO better than Hyde park)

Mentioned in this post
Ascot
Ascot
Richmond
Richmond
North Yorkshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
581 Reviews
London, UK
St. James's Park
St. James's Park
15,327 Reviews
London, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
17,251 Reviews
London, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: rail ascot to richmond, then tube for the day on travelcard?

If you take the train to Waterloo you will have to pay for your child to Waterloo

If you take the train to Richmond and switch to the tube there you will only have to pay for him as far as Richmond

Mentioned in this post
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
581 Reviews
London, UK
Richmond
Richmond
North Yorkshire, UK
8. Re: rail ascot to richmond, then tube for the day on travelcard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:16