We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

Toronto
Level Contributor
964 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

How do they actually work on buses and in the tube? Do the Oystercard readers read paper tickets? Is there any places I would NOT be able to use a paper card, i.e. at an unattended tube station?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

Oyster readers are for Oyster cards. When you board a bus, show the driver your paper Travelcard.

At Underground, rail and Overground stations the paper Travelcard should be inserted into the barrier as shown here: goukaseishi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/g… The ticket will pop up from the pyramid-shaped slot behind the Oyster touchpad. Remove the ticket and the barrier will open. I think Woolwhich Arsenal and Stratford are the only DLR stations with ticket barriers; fare inspectors are frequently seen on DLR trains.

Toronto
Level Contributor
964 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

So in other words...I gotta kick it old school, NYC MTA-stylez, while most other people whizz by me using fancy Oyster cards...

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

They won't be whizzing past you; they will be standing behind you tutting while you try to figure out the machine :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

I don't understand that last remark. tripadvisor.co.uk/…58114423 suggests that you are not without experience of using public transport in London. Everyone passes through the same barriers at stations whether they place an Oyster card on the reader or a travelcard into the slot, whilst on buses someone with a travelcard could hold the card up for the driver to see and pass behind another passenger placing their Oyster card on the reader. So I don't follow the image of many people rushing past you as you seem to be implying.

Yes, their are barrier at Woolwich Arsenal DLR but they always seem to be in the open position when I use the station - same thing at the adjoining National Rail station.

California
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

I think 'marktwothousand' refers to the number of comments he's going to post before his trip....

Toronto
Level Contributor
964 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

I have previous experience with the system but I didn't even know paper tickets existed at the time, and wasn't paying attention to how people were using them...whether it was the same queue as oyster, different queue, only at certain stations/times of day. That is why I was asking.

I envisioned it being entirely possible that an attendant had to verify your paper card, meaning that attendantless entrances or after-hours access might have been off-limits to paper cardholders.

7. Re: 7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 17:05
Edited: 12 May 2014, 17:05
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

I think this is an entirely sensible question by OP.

In fact, machine reading of the paper tickets (which have an magnetic strip) came in during the late 80s with the UTS (=Underground Ticketing System) and thus precede Oyster, which was bolted onto it. The barriers are told to open (or to close on someone) by the same mechanism, it's just how that info is given to them that differs. The UTS was a development of a previous automated system that dated back to the 60s

On buses, the driver is supposed to operate a clicker for each passenger with a paper ticket or ENCTS pass.

There isn't much time difference between oyster and paper ticket examination by the machine.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 08:55
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

If you're using a paper travelcard you put them through the ticket barrier machine (rather than tapping on the reader).

One thing to note - paper travelcards demagnetise quite easily so avoid keeping them close to mobile phones if you have one. They would still be valid but you might need to show to an operative to open the gate for you. If you are travelling alone Oyster loaded with a travelcard would be better.

10. Re: 7-day Paper Travelcards and Oyster Readers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:17