We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday arrival

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Friday arrival

Hello,

I arrive at Heathrow - Terminal 3 and plan to get the Oyster Card and take the Tube into London. My hotel is between Gloucester Station and South Kennsington Station. Is either one of those two stations easier to navigate with suitcase? I am traveling alone and first time to attempt the Tube. Funny that this is the part I worry about the most.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
437 reviews
from US$104.30*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$100.10*
East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday arrival

I don't know the answer to your question but a friendly word of advice:

When in the UK don't truncate place names.

You mention Gloucester Station. I assume you mean Gloucester Road Station? Or somewhere else? In the UK (and London, especially) it is not unusual to have many places, within a short distance of each other, with similar names - Gloucester Square, Gloucester Road, Gloucester Street (as examples). Not using the whole name can confuse and, sometimes, result in mis-direction.

Gloucester is actually a town many, many miles from London and asking someone for directions to Gloucester Station may result in you being sent to the town rather then the specific road (or area or wherever) that you actually want.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,842 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday arrival

Others who are more knowledgeable about numbers of stairs at tube stations will be along to answer your question. However, its a straight route on the Piccadilly Line - since it starts at Heathrow, there'll be plenty of room at the beginning for your luggage. You'll be fine :)

But here's a link to help you plan walking routes: http://walkit.com/cities/london

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday arrival

Lots of stairs at Gloucester Road station but doable. Preferable to south ken, I think.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,469 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday arrival

There's one short flight of stairs and then lift to street level at Gloucester Road.

But when are you coming - the lifts are being replaced from May 24th affecting that journey?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k744…

Edited: 12 May 2014, 18:30
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Friday arrival

At Gloucester Road station there are stairs (14 steps, a landing, then 12 steps) which will take you to a lift to the ticket hall.

At South Kensington station there are stairs (12 steps, a landing, then 13 steps) which will take you to the ticket hall. However, this is for the District Line so you will need to change from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Hammermith. (If you stay on the Piccadilly Line from the airport to South Kensington, the way out will involve stairs, long walks and escalators).

Here's how to change from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Hammersmith. A simple cross platform change. Just walk from one side of the island platform to the other. See this photo: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2800819 (the photo is of the Westbound platform, but the Eastbound platform is the same).

Edited: 12 May 2014, 18:40
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Friday arrival

Thank you one and all for your valuable insight and advice, much appreciated. I am arriving this Friday, 5/16, so will miss the construction with the lifts, thank you. Another possibility would be to go to Earl's Court Station, which I read has no stairs? And would only be about a 15 minute walk. Is that a good option or stick with one of the other stations?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,588 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friday arrival

Since you are arriving this Friday you may take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Gloucester Road. From the Underground station at T1,3 there is a short escalator down to the train platform. Most people will step off the escalator, turn to the right and stop - but you won't.

Instead you'll turn to the right and walk towards the far end of the platform, not only because you will be more likely to find a car with fewer pax inside but also because the way out for eastbound Piccadilly line trains at Gloucester Road station is nearer the front of the train.

There are 26 shallow steps up from the platform to the lift level. Look right at the top of the stairs as the lifts are a little hidden behind a pillar. There is a wide gate in the ticket hall through which you may roll your bag.

Where is your destination from Gloucester Road station?

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Friday arrival

Thank you, TravellerPlus, you make it sound very doable. I am staying by Queens Gate Garden. I am female,in my 60's and traveling alone for first time; I am actually fairly healthy but just tweaked my back while gardening and after a 9 hour flight of sitting, have worried about carrying my bag up all those stairs...and tweaking my back again at the start of my trip. That was why I was also considering the no stair option at Earls Court, even with a longer walk.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,978 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Friday arrival

Queens Gate Gardens are so close to Gloucester Road tube that I think it likely the walk from Earls Court will cause you as much pain as the stairs at Gloucester Road.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Friday arrival

We're also a fairly friendly bunch. If you ask someone to help you to get your case up the stairs, I would be beyond shocked if they didn't oblige.