We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HomeAway holiday rentals

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
69 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
HomeAway holiday rentals

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. I just got an email from London Connection today that the flat I have booked for a group trip in October is no longer going to be a rental due to noise issues/complaints about the rental groups in the mews. So, now I'm back to scouring the internet for a suitable option for our group. I found a contender on HomeAway.com and since I've never rented through them, I wanted to see if you all had any experiences or heard anything about this site. I tried to search the forum posts but it wasn't coming up with anything relevant. (And I'm so sad that the original flat is no longer an option. It was perfect!) Sigh.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HomeAway holiday rentals

HomeAway.com is legitimate, but it is still just a listing service. You need to conduct normal due diligence for any rental listed there. In addition, HomeAway has had an issue with phishing scams in the past. You must telephone to ensure that no one has hacked the owner's/agent's email account.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
69 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HomeAway holiday rentals

Thanks. So it requires checking out the individual listing the propety vs checking the agency.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HomeAway holiday rentals

HomeAway is similar to the want ads in the newspaper. Anyone can post a property for rent (although HomeAway does have a pretty decent system of checks and validations - more so than many listing services). So you need to check out the person (owner or agent) who is listing the property. Very few scam listings make it on HomeAway.

The phishing scam has been a problem in the past. But that is not HomeAway's issue. The problem arises when a scammer hacks the owner's/agent's email. You contact someone through the email contact on HomeAway, but the owner/agent never receives it. Instead, I have hacked the email and I reply to you as if I am the owner/agent. I have you send me money for the security deposit and half the rent. Then you never hear from me. To keep this from happening, after you email the owner/agent and receive a reply, you must call them - using the phone number on the listing (not the number I give in the reply email - I am the scammer). If there is no number on the listing, then contact HomeAway and they will provide one for verification.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 20:23
Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HomeAway holiday rentals

Homeaway is quite expensive to advertise on, so isn't of interest to the usual hit and run scammers. The phishing scam that affected a small amount of rentals on there is a common one used to target many companies and individuals and as long as you double check before paying over any money, you should be fine. If you post a link to any you're interested in on here, we can perhaps help.

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: HomeAway holiday rentals

BE WARNED!

Homeaway will delete negative reviews. They will find any excuse to do so. I posted a perfectly legitimate review on their site about a nasty little box located in Chelsea Cloisters. They would not post it. So what you read is probably mostly the owner and friends posting super-positive reviews.

THEY ARE NOT TRUST WORTHY.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: HomeAway holiday rentals

What's the HomeAway link to that flat at Chelsea Cloisters? Was it through London Holiday Studios?

Edited: 02 June 2014, 22:03
Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HomeAway holiday rentals

We recently used homeaway for the first time. We followed their advice regarding safety in booking an accommodation and called the phone number listed on the site to double check the validity of the rental and payment information prior to paying. I even went so far to google the name of the person listed to get more info on them and everything lined up. The place was as expected with no issues. I will use the site again.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: HomeAway holiday rentals

Codswallop H, one post wonder, provide the link.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
406 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HomeAway holiday rentals

I was thinking of using London Connection, but this gives me pause. I assume you got a full refund? Did LC try to convince you to take another of their flats, or were they easy to deal with? I'm glad you have a lot of time to find another flat, but I wonder what happens to the folks that are a week or two away from their vacation. Good luck - I hope you find something you like even better!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: HomeAway holiday rentals

As far as I'm aware, it's incredibly difficult to get reviews deleted on homeaway. Once posted, the owner cannot delete it, they'd have to appeal to homeaway and I've seen some very bad reviews on there that would surely have been deleted by the owners if it was easy to do so. The problem is probably with the OP. Perhaps some colourful language?