We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Macon, France
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

Hi,

I will be in London from 6 to 8 June, and I most certainly want to bring back lots of goodies. Which is the largest / best supermarket in London, I will be staying in Clerkenwell so which one do you advise with nearby or of easy access ( close to the stations ) ?

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

Apologies, I was typing quickly. If you click the link you'll see that I did indeed mean Tesco Extra.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

Tesco is a bit 'cheap and cheerful' :-\ with emphasis on the 'cheap' bit.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

There is also a very large Sainsbury's at Dog Kennel Hill: sainsburys.co.uk/sol/… Same route as for Surrey Quays, but stay on the train for an extra three stops to Denmark Hill, making sure you are on the correct branch, of course (Clapham Junction branch).

>>Tesco is a bit 'cheap and cheerful' :-\ with emphasis on the 'cheap' bit.<<

I'm not a great fan of Tesco either, but it is very large and has wide choice/variety as requested. Sainsbury's is overall better quality than Tesco, in my opinion. The Denmark Hill branch is very big. I think the one in Sydenham is even bigger, but it's a bit further out: tube to London Bridge, then the Hayes (Kent) line down to Lower Sydenham). There's also a big Sainsbury's at 11 Walthamstow Avenue, but it's 35 minutes walk from the tube station, so overall longer to get to.

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

I would recommend Waitrose, or buying goods from one of the food markets like exmouth food market in Clerkenwell

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,873 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

The Tesco at Surrey Quays is the most disorganised of that company's I've ever visited, it's an unpleasant place all around.

With a stay in Clerkenwell, take the 19 or 38 to the Angel. Just behind the N1 shopping centre you will find a fairly large Sainsbury's and a decent sized Waitrose next to it. There is a larger Sainsbury's behind Whitechapel station along with the Waitrose in Whitecross Street, but the two shops at the Angel are most handy for Clerkenwell. There is a branch of M&S in Chapel Street, but most of the store has a dejected and sad feel about it; the food hall is medium sized and well stocked, though.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

The largest close one is by far ASDA Old Kent Rd. Also the best value for money IMO. As a dweller in the UK, ASDA is by far my favourite supermarket chain. Cheap, reasonable quality (compared to Tesco anyway), and always friendly. After that it's Morrisons, but they aren't so easy to get to.

To get there, get on the train at Farringdon station, take the train to Elephant and Castle. Then either get the 53, 453 or 172 bus (towards Plumstead, New Cross or Honour Oak Park), and you can't miss ASDA.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 19:00
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
980 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

The Waitrose in the basement of John Lewis may be large, but the selection of goods is not particularly good. I think it's mainly oriented to people picking up a quick meal to fling together. after work/sightseeing i have been stumped there several times looking for quite standard items. However, the Waitrose in the Brunswick Centre is excellent, and I would definitely second the recommendation of that as a very good supermarket and not very far from Clerkenwell. I also strongly second the suggestion of Fortnum and Mason for real goodies such as English teas, marmalades, biscuits (although at the moment I'm looking forward to a trip to Paris soon to stock up of Dammann teas from France.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

Actually, it would be really helpful to know what the OP wants to buy. If it's a ton of cheap Cadbury chocolate bars, anywhere would suffice. If it's something a bit nicer or more unusual, there might be specific shops... I must confess, I am struggling to think of any reason to go to a big Tesco, or Asda out of town neither sell particularly good quality stuff, although it is cheap. But if you want cheap surely you want Lidl?!

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

The awful truth is that if you want the best selection of unusual food British brands in central London, the otherwise ghastly Whole Foods in Kensington High Street probably wins.

The best Waitroses, in terms of selection, are really the one at Canary Wharf and the Waitrose masquerading as the John Lewis food department in Oxford Street.

I'm constantly amazed at the brands and food quality in my local Daylesford. I honestly don't know whether the Pimlico (http://daylesford.com/pimlico/) or Notting Hill (http://daylesford.com/notting-hill/) match it, but if you wanted "chocolats (sic), juices, sweets, hot drinks, spices", I'd start there.

Incidentally, the poster is mad not to want to take British cheeses home. Our black puddings and our beef and lamb (again: best at Waitrose or Daylesford) also knock spots off the pallid stuff you find in Burgundy.

Thirty years ago, Raymond Blanc laughed at me when I complained he didn't serve English cheese. Two years ago, he apologised.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best / biggest supermarket in terms of choice / variety

Waitrose gets my vote and the one at Finchley Road Station, formerly John Barnes, is the best one I have been in