We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advise needed converning 24hour layerover

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel advise needed converning 24hour layerover

Need advise regarding hotel to stay at. We have a 24 hour layover in London after landing at Heathrow on Saturday at 11am. We take off the next day on Sunday at 10:50am from Heathrow for Romania. We have to take our bags with us and recheck them in the next day.

We want to spend the day in London seeing Buckingham, Westminster, Trafalgar, Picadilly.....

Would like a recommendation for a hotel that we can stop at on the way downtown (I guess via the tube) so that we can easily drop off our bags. Then head back to the hotel at the end of the day, spend the night, and head back to the airport in the morning.

Thank you for your advise in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel advise needed converning 24hour layerover

'We want to spend the day in London seeing Buckingham, Westminster, Trafalgar, Piccadilly...' Difficult, this.

Buckingham is a town of 12000 in the county of Buckinghamshire. The City of Westminster covers a large area of central London. Trafalgar is in Spain. Piccadilly is a road. Please do not truncate place names as doing so will cause problems, and not just here on the forum. Asking for directions to Buckingham rather than Buckingham Palace (not open to the public yet, and in the interim a large building that will take 30 seconds to 'see' as will Piccadilly Circus, a roundabout) will mean a Londoner sending you off to the rail station for a trip to that town.

Please let us know the date* you will be in London, how many in your party of 'we' (if there are children, let us know how many are under age 16) and your budget in pounds - use www.oanda.com or www.xe.com to calculate the exchange rate. *Planed works on the Underground may have an impact on travel, so knowing the date is key.

Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel advise needed converning 24hour layerover

My apologies. I was referring to Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, and Piccadilly Circus. We have a circular walking tour that we can begin anywhere along the way.

The day we will have in London will be Saturday, August 9th after we land at 11am. There will only be two adult men and we can share a room. No kids. Would like to keep the price around 90 pounds between the two of us but that is not a hard and fast rule.

Thank you again

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel advise needed converning 24hour layerover

If I were you I Would book an airport hotel- you should be able to get one for £90. Then you can check your bags in and take the tube to central london. All the sights you mention are in easy walking distance. You can take the tube back to your hotel at night. Try somewhere like heathrow ibis. I got a deal to stay at the hilton at heathrow terminal 5 for only £68 and its a very nice hotel!

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,388 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel advise needed converning 24hour layerover

What airline/terminal are you leaving from? I might actually stay at Heathrow. The last tube back to Heathrow will be around midnight or 12:30AM on the Sat depending on where you are leaving from. The first tube to Heathrow on a Sun will probably be around 0830, which is probably too late for a 10:50AM flight. (I'm figuring 2 hours for check in for an EU flight, although I have no idea what's recommended.)

There are night buses, but they would be more of a pain than the tube, I'd think.

However, many of the "Heathrow" hotels are not actually at Heathrow, and the hotels connected to the terminals are mostly fairly expensive, I think. However, the details would depend on your terminal of arrival and departure.

Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel advise needed converning 24hour layerover

We arrive via Terminal 3 and leave the next day via Terminal 5

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,388 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel advise needed converning 24hour layerover

I see rates for the Sofitel connected to Terminal 5 for £135.20 (prepaid, nonrefundable) on your date. That's what I'd probably do. Makes for an easy flight in the am.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel advise needed converning 24hour layerover

As desirable as the Sofitel may be (and it is for those who like their creature comforts) you may prefer a stay in London. The Best Western Burns, three or four minutes' walk from Earl's Court station, has rooms for £107 per night.

With a flight departure to OTP at 1055 you need not be at Heathrow much before 0900 so you really need not stay at an airport hotel. The journey from Earl's Court shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to T5, so if you are at Earl's Court station by 0815 you should arrive at the airport in good time.

8. Re: Hotel advise needed converning 24hour layerover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 10:16