We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

Bedford,Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

I have tried wading through the forum about the travelcards and oyster cards and the 2-4-1 cards.I am still weighing out the benefits of the 2-4-1 card as a lot of the attractions we want to see aren't available in August but there was on thing I could not quite figure out. I leep seeing that you can get the regular travelcard for seven days on an oyster is what it is saying. I don't understand what that means. Would be so kind as to explain that to me. Do you get the oyster card and use it to pay for a travelcard or what exactly would i do. One more question, does it benefit me in any way if i am taking the Heathrow connect to the city? Do i just buy those round trip tickets seperately? Thanks for your help.

California
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

An Oyster card is a means of payment, it's a little plastic card that you swipe electronically at the tube/bus/DLR barriers and it auto-deducts the appropriate fare. If you would like to utilize the 2 for 1 offers, you need a paper travelcard issued at a National Rail station. You can't transfer that value on to the oyster card if you want the special discounts. Those paper tickets will go through a slot at the barriers and pop out the other end after you pass through. But, if you didn't care about 2 for 1 (traveling solo perhaps) you could put the value of the 7 day travel card on the oyster card plus some extra Pay as you Go (PAYG) cash for any trips outside of the zones you purchased on the travelcard.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 18:34
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

The oyster card is an empty piece of plastic, which you pay a £5 deposit on. The deposit is refundable when you have finished using the card.

You can have paid onto this card either a sum of money, say £30, and each journey you use it for deducts from that amount, up to a daily maximum of £8 - something if you use the tube as well as buses, or just £4.40 if you only use buses that day. That's not the maximum number of trips you can make, just after you hit £4.40, all other trips are free.

OR

You can have paid onto this card a travel card for either 1 or 7 days. I think it works out cheaper with a 7 day card than with 7 x days of using just the (for example) £30.

However, travelcards on Oyster cards are not eligible for the 2-4-1 deals. For those you need to buy a paper travelcard from a National Railway Station, not from an Underground Station.

MChiddy types faster than me.....

Edited: 16 May 2014, 18:37
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

<<OR

You can have paid onto this card a travel card for either 1 or 7 days

>>

No - it's AND/OR - you can have both on the same card

And you can only have a 7 day or longer travelcard on an Oyster - one day cards are always paper.

T put it into context, you might get at Heathrow a 7 day travelcard for zones 1 and 2, and add to it cash to pay for the trip into zone 2 from Heathrow - in zone 6.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 19:20
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

Indeed. I meant there were 2 kinds of travel cards, one of either length but not that they were mutually exclusive. Tricky language, English. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,034 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

Further to the above: Transport for London sell all seven day and longer Travelcards electronically loaded on to Oyster cards - the only paper tickets TfL sell are singles and one day Travelcards. Oyster can hold up to three consecutive seven day Travelcards, and cards can be loaded up to 30 days before the first day of the validity period.

Physically using Oyster tends to be easier than dealing with paper Travelcards as the latter must be kept as intact as possible, uncrumpled with the magnetic strip pristine. Oyster is a tougher bit of plastic which can be kept in its plastic wallet (TfL and National Rail stations will give a wallet when one obtains an Oyster card or paper Travelcard) and is simply placed on Oyster touch pad readers at stations and on buses. Paper tickets must be put through a slot in Underground (and other station) barriers which can be a slightly slower process than touching in with Oyster. Should you use a paper Travelcard for the two for one offers and wish to ride buses, simply show the card to the driver when boarding.

'...the benefits of the 2-4-1 card' This doesn't exist. Instead you will need a paper Travelcard bought at a National Rail ticket office and the necessary vouchers. The reason NR-issued paper Travelcards can be used for the two for one offers is because all Travelcard (Oyster and paper) may be used on National Rail services in the paid for zones and as such the paper cards are considered rail tickets for use with the offers.

Unless your destination is in the Paddington area (and even if it is) there may be considerably better ways to travel from Heathrow than on Connect. Please let us know the date and time of day your flight will arrive and your destination in central London.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKYhCdh8K8

Bedford,Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

Thanks for the replies. Tell me if i understand this right. Essentially travelcard on Oyster is using the Oyster to add a say, a 7 day travelcard onto it, (using the Oyster as a payment method) and still being able to use the Oyster as a pay as you go card. If i have the 7 day travelcard on the Oyster i am assuming i can still top off the Oyster card should i need to? If i decide to go with the 2-4-1 card i would have the benefit of 2-4-1 offers and being able to ride the train in the zones i pick. Can the travelcard be used for trains and if not can i travel out of the zones i picked and use the Oyster to pay for my travels? Sorry for the long rambling on but i just wanted to make sure i purchased the correct item for my travels. TravellerPlus- I am flying in to Heathrow on August 3rd and am staying in the Marylebone area- possibly the Marylebone Hotel. I don't mind paying a little extra to not have to lug baggage around much. Maybe you can suggest the best method to get where i need to be. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,034 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

If you have an Oyster card with a seven day Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 loaded, say valid from 19 through 25 May, then the Travelcard will be used for journeys taken. Should you travel outside the paid for zones on those days, say from Heathrow to the city centre on arrival day, the PAYG pre-pay balance will deduct the excess fare for the journey from the airport in zone 6 to the boundary of zone 2. If you need to add more pre-pay for out of zone travels you may do so by touching in at a Tube ticket machine and following the on screen instructions.

Should you use a National Rail Travelcard (a paper ticket) you will *only* be able to travel outside the paid for zones on buses without having to pay the cash excess fare*. The cash excess fare for out of zone travels with a paper Travelcard is higher than the Oyster excess fare.

*All Travelcards are good for use on the Underground, DLR, National Rail trains and Overground services in the paid for zones plus buses in all six zones. Travelcards are not used for travel to (eg) Windsor, Cambridge or Oxford, but zones 1 - 6 paper cards (or zones 1 and 2 cards on Oyster with pre-pay added) can be used on the train to and from Hampton Court station.

You say 'we' in your original post but 'I' in post seven - the two for one offers will be of no value to you unless you travel with at least one other person.

On your arrival day, Connect will run once an hour. Instead of watching the walls at the airport, take the Piccadilly line to Hyde Park Corner, where there is an escalator up from the train platform to the ticket hall then a ramp up to street level at exit 1 Knightsbridge north side. Walk a little away from the bus stops at street level, reach out an arm and hail a taxi; fare shouldn't be much more than £10 or £12 from Hyde Park Corner to Marylebone. A much more satisfying experience all around and one that will be cheaper than taking Connect plus taxi.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

Perhaps this much overlooked link could be edited again by others and especially by TP who writes to be understood.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c133479/Lon…

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What does "Travelcard on Oyster" mean?

The 2-4-1 offers cannot be used with Travelcard on Oyster. You must purchase a Travelcard at a National Rail station. You must also be at least two people.

You say that a lot of attractions aren't available in August; some attractions, like the Tower of London and the London Eye will go off-line in the summer months. The rest will generally renew for another 6 months.