We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luton to London

Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Luton to London

Hi guys

We're a group flying in to Luton on Friday 6th June at 8:10. We originally planned on using a car service but have since scrapped that idea. There are 5 adults and 1 child. Can anyone recommend the cheapest and easiest way to get from Luton airport in to central london?! The train was coming in at silly money, easy bus is obviously a no go (but checked and was £20 per person! For a shady service, you can see why this is ridic!) I also checked Greenline and it wasn't too bad, £15 open return per adult, but seemed to take A LONG TIME. I can vaguely remember someone posting about using the train in a group you can get a discount but I can't remember exactly! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luton to London

You are thinking of Groupsave - 34% off normal walkon fares.

It's off peak only, which probably won't suit your arrival time

It's T&C are due to change - so what you see online might not depict reality on the day in June

You could also look at National Express coach prices

Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luton to London

That's exactly what it is that I had seen!!

If I was to use the groupsave and just wait in Luton til off peak to travel, is this feasible? Is Luton the sort of place I could wait about for an hour before getting the train?

Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luton to London

That's exactly what it is that I had seen!!

If I was to use the groupsave and just wait in Luton til off peak to travel, is this feasible? Is Luton the sort of place I could wait about for an hour before getting the train?

London
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luton to London

Not cleat where you're flying in from. If you need to clear immigration and collect bags, it'll be near enough "off peak" time anyway. Not much waiting.

Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luton to London

It's a domestic flight and anytime I've flown domestic I've been out of the airport in under 10 minutes, so never hung around to see if there's anything to occupy time.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,291 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luton to London

There really is nothing around the airport and only a couple of basic coffee bars and restaurants landside in the terminal building.

A door to door car service shouldn't cost more than about £90 which may seem a lot but given your requirements may actually make the most sense.

Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luton to London

I didn't really want to use a car service because it's not as if we could go check in to our apartment because it's far too early. And £90 each way equals £180 total!

So far the options I'm deciding between are the Greenline 747 service which comes in at £80 return for all of us, but takes almost 2 hours! Or the waiting around and getting the train, which also equals around about £90, but means waiting around! Decisions decisions! I'm glad trivial things like this are all the worries I have right now :-P

8. Re: Luton to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 01:35
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,669 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luton to London

The Group Save T&Cs have changed, with effect from Sunday 18th May.

It is still available on (most) off peak services, but the discount is now for a group of 3-9, adults or children, and a 34% reduction is applied to the total fares that the group would otherwise pay.

One or two operators still offer more generous concessions, but the 'additional children £1 each' no longer holds sway.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 10:45
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Luton to London

Remember you don't HAVE to use the same transport method both ways