We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many pounds to take with

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NW Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How many pounds to take with

We're trying to decide how many pounds to take with,

, a party of 5 for 6 days Using a credit card for most things. We'll get some pounds from the bank before we leave. Am also wondering where you cash in your unspent pounds when you leave London? I also have 40 euros and 20 D marks to cash in.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many pounds to take with

Get pounds from ATMs when you are here.

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
585 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many pounds to take with

Its best to bring a debit card with you for cash withdrawals and use a Credit Card whenever possible to get the best international exchange rates. You will only need pounds for certain things you cannot pay with your CC although most everything can be paid for with the CC. So perhaps 40 or 50 pounds cash per day to pay for purchases from small vending stands, or the odd place that doesn't accept a CC.

Whatever you do don't bring dollars. They charge flat exchange fees ranging from 2.5 to 5 pounds, and on top of it 15% commission (or poor exchange rates) at some places. I made the mistake of bringing dollars with me to Europe and ended up bringing them all home with me.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How many pounds to take with

<<and 20 D marks to cash in>>

I think you have to go to Germany to do that - even if it's still possible

The euros to pounds will be no problem though the rates might not be good.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many pounds to take with

The D Marks you can frame and hang on your wall or you need to go to Germany.

The Deutsche Mark was replaced by Euros in 2002. If you go to any branch of Bundesbank in Germany they will change your Marks into Euros.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,161 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many pounds to take with

Apparently this place will take Deutchmarks and giv eyou Sterling but you have to go there and probably you will end up with a fiver or something.. I would not bother changing the Euros either.

thomasexchange-oldcurrencies.blogspot.nl/

Edited: 18 May 2014, 14:23
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,024 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many pounds to take with

D marks ceased to exist when the euro was introduced in 1999. You may be able to find a bank that will change them - check online; I haven't.

You can change euros at most banks and bureaux de change as well as at some shops like M and S which people recommend. You won't get much for your euros what with commissions and so on, just enough for a few drinks. You could also use them to donate to charity on your airline possibly, at airports certainly, or donate to major museums such as the British Museum where they have a box at the entrance. People donate in all currencies and presumably the museums have a system for changing them.

I would save a bit of your sterling till you get to the airport as you never know what you may need if your plane is delayed or similar. There are change desks there. Alternatively, change it in London, pay for your trip to,the airport by card and hope there are no last minute emergency purchases. Either approach is valid.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
748 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many pounds to take with

As for cashing in your unspent pounds at the end of your trip, blow them at the shopping mall at either Heathrow or Gatwick. :-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many pounds to take with

The DM can only be legally exchanged at a branch of the Deutsche Bundesbank; the nearest one to the UK is in Cologne.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How many pounds to take with

Jim,

if you plan on going to some EU country in the future, i would hold onto the Euros. You will loose some $$ in the exchange process. If you dont care loosing some $$ in the exchange go for it. You can see what you bank or credit union will charge you vs the currency exchange places once youre over there.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
293 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many pounds to take with

Use debit card at cash machines to withdraw pounds as needed as you will likely pay higher fees using credit cards.

I agree with Tony Brooks post #7 regarding 'using up' pounds at the airport when you leave.

If you know you will return to the UK you may want to bring them back home to be used when starting the next UK trip.